Default my computer restarts automatically

Hello

I am experiencing problems with my computer restarting. This only happens when I am using the internet.

To try and get rid of this problems I completely wiped everything off my pc by using a disk that came with my pc that takes it back to its original factory setting and then reloaded all the original software that came with my pc. But my computer still re-starts.

I am able to use the internet. but after a few times of trying as it re-starts a few times.

here are the details for my pc

Operating syste, : windows 98
    Computer make : Tiny
    Processor : Pent III

any suggestions about what may be causing this problems and how i can solve it.

Many thanks

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Take a look at this article and download the patch http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d...SE/Default.asp . You should also update Win 98 with all the patches and critical updates. I would suggest you download these and save to disk, this would make updating faster in the future if you're going to keep using 98. See updates page http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/d.../corporate.asp . Hope this helps.

I'm assumimg this computer is a few years old. take a look inside. There is probably alot of dust clogging things up, pay particular attention to the fan on the CPU. You can get a can of compressed air at an electronics store and GENTLY blow the dust away. It is also possible that the fan on the CPU is not turning properly. Reboots are often heat related. Charlie

Default computer restarts

Hi

Thanks you for all your responses

I opened up the CPU and checked the fan. The fan appears to be working fine.

When I first go on to the internet after turning my computer on. It is in with the first few minutes that it will re-start. My computer only re-starts when I am login on to:

hotmail
    msm messenger
    using Internet explorer
    Outlook express.

However if by chance the computer doesnt re-start withing the first 5 minutes of using the above. The my computer is fine and and I can use it for as long as I want.

If this is a virus problem, how can I detect it and get rid of it. I have norton, but it hasnt detected anything.

Thanks. I would appreciate any further advice or solutions to this problems

Paisley

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Check the setting in each and make sure you do not have the variant of "Shut down when download finished" checked.
    Some folk even have auto check mail and the shutdown active.
    Also check for Adware and spyware. Check the Articles & Tutorials section for details.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Hallo Paisley - If you are looking to do a bit of 'spring cleaning' you could go here - http://www.help2go.com/postt9709.html
    and follow all of the instructions. It can do no harm and may even remove rubbish you don't even know you have. One of the experts will check over your Log. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome