Default Accessing another hard drive

Ok so my Toshiba Satellite A30 laptop recieved some rather nasty water damage. The keyboard is all dried out now (i removed it) but still fails to respond.

I can get to the XP login screen but can't type my password. I've also tried using a USB keyboard but no luck there.

I'm planning to take it in to be repaired but I have my computer science exams upcoming (ironic, I know) and all my notes are stored on my hard disk.

I don't really want to take the laptop apart any further, so is there anyway I can access the hard disk from another PC via a USB/Serial cable and/or some software installed on the working PC?

Thanks for any help.....

Hello daresie.
    The quick answer to this is no. Your laptop needs to be on and running before access from another computer is allowed. In other words you have to tell your laptop it's OK to talk to another computer.
    If you have access to a desktop unit see the link below. It may offer you a quick fix and give you access to your stored work although you will have to remove the H/D. Sorry about the pop up but there's only one of them when you first hit the site.
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Regards guy9663.

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5160538.html

Forgot to add this to my previous post. The link below has details on how to remove the H/D from a number of laptops. I can't find yours specifically but several Toshibas are listed. Check them all out. You may find one of them is the same as yours. They all look to be very similar.
    Regards guy9663.

http://www.sandersonforensics.co.uk/...isassembly.htm

Thanks for all your help, I'll give those a try. Think I found the correct disassembly guide for my laptop...

Cheers

I wish PCs had target firewire mode like Apples. It allows you to connect two Macs together with a 1394 Firewire cable. Leave the working Mac on, and then connect it to the 'bad' mac. Right after the boot chime is heard on the 'bad' mac hold the T key until you see the Firewire logo on the screen. It's harddrive will now show up on the other working Mac and can be read/written too and repaired. Just thought I'd share. I wish PCs had something like this except maybe with USB and Firewire.
    You can also boot off an external Firewire HD this way too.
    Still using IE?
    Get Firefox!

My Homepage

Member Help2Go Moderator

riccbhard,

I hate macs and only have used them once so youi'll have to excuse me since Ive never used this process but doesn't this kind of create a security issue if I'm just able to hook up a USB/Firewire connection to my (hypothetical of course) mac and plug it into someone elses, then, turn theirs on and have direct access to it without having to type in a username/password and without having any kind of security checks against who's accessing the broken mac?

Partieā„¢

P.S. You don't need to logon to the Windows XP machine before you're able to access it via the network. Just network a computer to your broken XP machine, on the working machine create a username/password that is also on the broken XP machine and join the same workgroup, you will hten get access to that broken XP machine from the working computer. Also, ricco, you can boot from USB/Firewire on newer motherboards and there are USB networking devices out there for PC.