Default processor upgrade

I have a Compag presario 5000 and would like to upgrade to 1.2 Ghz processor. I understand there needs to be a change to voltage and possibly the bios. I am not a novice but barely intermediate in knowledge and ability.

Hello LittleMike.
    I've trawled the net for ages to find info about this. The only thing I keep finding is that your mother board will only support 866MHz if I read the M/B type correctly.
    I would go to Compaq's website and check for info there. (see link).
    Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Regards guy9663.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/

As Guy 9663 said, the info on this computer is hard to nail down. I found one article that said 800 mhz max and another that said 1.2 ghz. Depending on what you are doing with the computer, the upgrade may not be worth it. 1.2 ghz is not fast enough for new games and web surfing, word processing doesn't require anything over what you already have. I would consider saving the money toward a new computer (there are good basic computers with CD/DVD burners around $500), or, if you must upgrade, consider a new motherboard and processor. More work, but a much bigger reward. Charlie

My thanks to you both, Powerleap suggested the 1.2 Ghz, and I was able to find one real cheap on E-Bay. I had a local company tell me they could accomplish upgrade for $20.00, but I just like to tinker and find experience an excellant teacher. Thanks again, Littlemike

Have at it, nothing beats hands on experience. Charlie