Default External to internal hard drive

So... I took my hardrive out of an external case and put it into my new computer because the hardrive was broke. I dont seem to know what has happend. The hardrive seems to have split into 2 different hardrives. When I put it back in as the external it says that it is 2 drives ... one is formated in FAT and the other in NTFS. The FAT one is only 8 mb and the other one is 76.2GB. This is a Maxtor hardrive that is roughly an 80GB. Please help me to find out why it split in two! Also how can i format it to be all in FAT. Thanks for all the help!

The small 8mb drive probably has some info for the external enclosure to read. XP won't let you go back to FAT32 without reformatting, but a program such as Partition Magic will. Charlie

ok so is there a FREE program that will do this for me?? I really need it done but i would rather buy a larger hard drive if i need to pay. Thanks for all the help!

Member Help2Go Moderator

Hmm...the 8mb of space is used for Windows partition information. (Starting with Windows 2000, I think). It gets created when you run windows setup and use the "full" amount of the disk space. The 8mb space is then created by windows for Dynamic Disk "upgrades". So, what i'm saying is, when you installed Windows and if your drive is 80GB in size and you told Windows Setup to use the full 80GB of hdd space as one partition...Windows Setup will block off up to 8mb of that space for the dynamic disk stuff. Since you told us what parititons you have it seems as though you told windows to use all of the drive and not to seperate it into smaller drives (D:, E:, F:, etc.etc.) so then it made that 8MB space. Now, it also seems that the space was formatted (which it's not supposed to be, it's an unformatted/unallocated space) somehow and that's why your drive is possibly "dead' in the sense that maybe it won't boot windows anymore. I think the only way to recover this is to do a complete reformat of the drive and reinstall windows.

partieā„¢