Default A Battery's Life?

Does anyone know how long a laptop battery can last for? Is it different for each brand of laptop or are they all around the same ?

Depends completly on what you are asking the computer to do. If you are just doing word processing for instance a new effiecient laptop should give you three or so hours working time. B
    If you are trying to play games aor say watch DVD's this will be halfed at best.

To be honest there shouldn't be that many situations where you have to run the comp on battery power. (Well there weren't for me and thats what I'm going on.) For me the usefullness of having a laptop was the ability to take it home at term time, as a 12 hour round trip for my dad was a little excessive just for christmas or easter. I very rarely had to use it on battery power and if I were you I would aim to do the same.

oh ok. I wouldn't have been using the battery too often. I'd be using it maily for the internet, games and stuff. do you know how much is it to buy a new battery ?

I just had a quick look on Dells website for you, a second battery on their models costs about £60, I've no idea where you are from but converting to your currency from Sterling shouldn't be too hard.

I feel I should add this as someone who has had a laptop for the portability but since found better methods and has then gone to a far superior desktop.

Firstly when you say games, if you mean the likes of minesweeper or resonably old low tech games then this you may as well ignore this, but if you mean anything recent and for future use I would seriously reccomend not going with a laptop, they are simply not equiped for it, you could spend half the amopunt of money as you would spend on a high end laptop and get a high end desktop (especially if you did a home build).

Secondly how much portability do you need? If say your a student going between home and university for instance have you considered an external hard drive? For the money you would save by buying a desktop you could buy a huge external hard drive, (which I did and this is also very helpful w.r.t backups etc) and then work on things over the holiday on your parents computer, of course if they don't have one again this is of no use I'm merly describing my situation to you .

Thirdly and from my experiance a huge issue, maintenence and upgrades. Firstly like all store bought computers you upgrade yourself then you have voided the warrenty, but neglecting that consider this firstly apart form upgrading RAM and with a fair bit of effort you hard drive, thats about it with a laptop. Motherboard and hence processor and fixed, you could get an external sound card but no option for this exists for graphics. Yes you can use the PCMCIA card slots (you'll probably only get one anyway) for expansions but this is rather limeted. Then there is the whole problems with reliability, heat is a huge isuue in laptops, the longer you have them the more this is an issue. Once its out of warrenty repair will cost you a fortune, no two ways about it, (I was quoted £250 to replace the motherboard on my laptop a month or so ago, for that I bought a 3200+ processor and the motherboard to go with it, and probably the DVD writer, case and floppy drive for the desktop I built.)

Of course if you really really need a laptop then you'll just have to go in with your eyes open, but unless it is really essential I would urge you to go with a far more cost effective and superior desktop!

Thank you. I will have a think about. But yes u are right. It is mainly for having my personal computer and putting personal files i dont want others see that i share a computer with. the cons of a laptop far outweigh that of a desktop pc.