Rachel725

Default Computer running slow despite having DSL

Does anyone know why my computer would be running so slow even though i have high speed?
    When i enter a site, that little bar on the bottom moves sooooooo darn slow.

Thx in advance!

Go to this site:
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest?more=1

Pick a site close to you and run a speed test (you have to have java enabled).
    compare you upload speed to your advertised speed. You can also run a tweak test from the same page. Pay particular attention to the RWIN setting. Post your findingd back here. Charlie

Rachel725

Hi! TY for responding....

How do I enable Java? :?

The page does not have a option for NY? Would NJ be good enough?

TY

If you are using Internet Explorer click on tools at the top of the page. Then click on internet options and then the advanced tab, scroll about half way down the page and when you see the Java options click the check box to enable.
    In Firefox click tools, options, web features and check the enable Java box.
    When you are at the link from Grim you have the option to download the latest Java which you may want to do.
    Re your point about New York or New Jersey, it dosn't matter. I tested my speed using those sites and I live in the UK. A signal from your computer may be bounced half way round the world before it gets to a place a few miles down the road. Try at least 2 different sites when you test your speed.
    Regards guy9663.

Rachel725

Hi.....this is the results. Not really sure what they mean or where to go from here but hoping you can further assist me.

Do I disable java now that I am done running the test?

TY!

2005-05-22 21:30:11 EST: 2547 / 343
    Your download speed : 2608372 bps, or 2547 kbps.
    A 318.4 KB/sec transfer rate.
    Your upload speed : 351814 bps, or 343 kbps.

Welcome to BBR!
    Home Page
    More tests!
    Discussion forums

Your Result vs Common benchmarks
    kbps
    bearable «

ok «

ok «150k Video Stream

ok «Fastest multiplayer games

ok «192k 'near CD quality' MP3

ok «300k Video Stream

broadband «half megabit

broadband «1mbit barrier

fast «2mbit barrier

Yours «2547 down
    «343 up

very fast «3mbit barrier

(5mbit barrier not shown)

=Your data speed = estimated TCP overhead popup more info

That's 2.5mb download speed, not bad for dsl. the problem with the speed of your connections is not in your download speed. There could be other problems with configuration, ur it is also possible that where you are downloading from just can't upload any faster. Upload speeds are usually considerably less than download speed (yours is 343-2547). If you are talking about downloading music files from P2P networks, the upload speed limit is probably the answer. If you are not talking about music downloads, what are you downloading that is so slow? Charlie.

Rachel725

Each time I go to a site (doesn't matter which one)........It takes forever to get there.

If I type www.msn.com, ect......just getting to any particuliar site, my computer runs so darn slow.

That's probably not your connection speed but rather an issue with something in your computer. You can try cleaning things up with Ccleaner, available here: www.ccleaner.com

It will clean out your temporary files and other clutter as well as remove orphan entries from your registry. It will also clean out your browser history, so if you use that to go back to web sites, put the ones you want to keep in your favorites folder (IE) or bookmark (Mozilla, Firefox). After doing that, defragment your hard driive and see how things run. If there is still a problem, it could be spyware related. Go here and follow directions
    http://www.help2go.com/article217.html

Charlie

grim,

started running ccleaner and got mind boggled.
    deleting some of that seems ok like cookies,history,temp internet files(all under INTERNET EXPLORER catagory. what about delete index.dat files under same catagory where u get a warning window. what about adobe photoshop, ms works, and office 97 in applications catagory. dont get a warning but would i lose the whole program(ms works) if i selected it.
    same thing with "issue" tab. i dont know much about system registry but i know its an integral part of pc. what can safely be cleaned up

thanks
    jojo

It cleans temp files, not the actual saved files or program files. As far as the registry, you will get the option to backup any changes before removal, so if you need to restore (unlikely), you can go back. I've always run Ccleaner with the default settings and never had any problems. You do lose your internet history and search history which are stored in temp folders. Charlie