Member Help2Go Moderator

Default I'm stumped Low Disk Space Warning...

Ok so, here's the deal. Lately, out of the blue, not while running any certain programs or doing any certain thing on the internet I suddenly get the Low on Disk Space warning. I go into "my computer" highlight my c: drive and usually when it first appears I have about 45MB left! What the crap?!?!. I've done hard drive scans, I've done chkdsk, I've used the Fujitsu hard drive diagnostic tools, everything comes up clean. The thing that bugs me the most is I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! and it's driving me crazy. Also, a restart will fix the issue...for a while, sometimes a couple of hours sometimes shorter sometimes longer. It always appears!

This is on a Windows XP Home Machine (Dell Inspiron 4100 laptop).

The only thing that it could POSSIBLY be is that this isn't the OEM hard drive that came with the machine. That hard drive took a dive (actually a window fan took a dive on the laptop which caused a header crash) so I replaced the hard drive (and keyboard) and it seemed to work.

This is driving me literally insane because I don't know the answer!

any help appreciated..

Partie™

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

A long shot here Partie (I know how thorough you are), but was the BIOS changed to reflect the new HD?

Member Help2Go Moderator

Thanks for the suggestion Canuck but I've done some more research and it has let me to the answer.

I used the bootvis utility to speed up my system boot time (boy it worked like a charm). I also enabled trace logging in the bootvis options menu. The logfile was being ran and ran and ran and adding to this file C:\windows\system32\filelogs\wmi\trace.log That log file was being populated until it was taking up all disk space and hence the out of space warning. The reason why I didn't find it earlier I guess was because I was searching too early. I was trying to find files over 1gb in size and when I did it before I searched before the log file was being populated so I couldn't find it. I did the smart thing and finally found the culprit.

Now, if anyone gets this problem, and tries to run bootvis, run bootvis ONLY ONCE, and THEN, uninstall it! Or, you can download this utility http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...tracelog-o.asp (yes it works on XP also) and once installed go into a command prompt and type tracelog -x to stop it from doing a trace log.

Thanks again for the response Canuck!

Partie™

Problems are the best learning experience. Charlie