ricardonivar

Default My computer does not detect the hard drive!!!!

I have a little issue with my computer. It's not detecting the hard drive i tryied with another hard drive , i changed the cable, i tryied going to the bios setup detect the hard drive automatic. And it's not dectecting the hard drive yet, it's only detecting the cd room floppy, sometimes detect it, but it doesn't download the operating system. It's a Pentium III 1.0 GHZ Processor.

Can somebody help me please!!!

Are these HD's New ? or are they ones that already have an OP system on them ?

Jumpers/Cable select set correctly?

If you more than one slot on the Mother Board that will accept the cable try the other one.

Cheers

Make sure you have power going to the hard drive and that the jumper is set correctly. If it is the only hard drive in the computer set the jumper to "master/standalone" A diagram on the H/D case should show which pins to use. The pins for master/standalone are probably marked MA. The link below has more detail and a nice trouble shooting bit at the end.
    Regards guy9663.

http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/15-p1.php

ricardonivar

Default HDs are used!!!!

the hard drives have operating system and when i setup them in another pc they work find, are detected, and the operating system loads fine.

What mother board have you got in the computer that's playing up?
    Is the CPU fan running?
    Are you sure you have power to the H/D when it is in the faulty computer?
    guy9663.

Based on your info, the hard drives are OK, so as been suggested, the problem must be in the cable, connection, power or motherboard. Newer cables are specific as to how they should be hooked up, master has a black connection at the end of cable, slave has a gray connection in the middle. Make absolutely sure that all jumper settings are OK on all IDE drives (don't assume they are OK). Make sure all cables are turned in the right direction, there is a tab on one side of the cable connection, but some drives will let the cable go in either way. If there is a colored stripe down one side of the ribbon cable, it should be toward pin1(usually toward the power plug). Switch the cable to the other IDE connection on motherboard. Change power plugs around, you could have a dead plug. Check your BIOS settings, not exactly sure what to look for. Just check to see how the devices are recognized and on one screen you should have some info on how the IDE controller is set up. There may be some options for auto detect. Haven't really fixed the problem, but these items should help you trouble shoot it. Charlie

the hard drives have operating system and when i setup them in another pc they work find, are detected, and the operating system loads fine.
    Sorry this does not work, even the the "new PC" sees the HD. The HD and its operating system are specific to the PC that they were loaded on.

Unless the two are identical "twins", as to make, model, CPU, BIOS,and Hardware installed, it just does not work. I have been there/done that. I spent $75.00 on a used HD that had XP installed on it and PC would never see it, let alone work.

Cheers

You are correct Basementgeek. If it loads on the other computer, that is the computer it was originally loaded on. You can't just move the hard drive to another computer and expect it to work as all of the drivers are loaded for the old motherboard. . If you are trying to legally move the OS to another computer, you will need the original Windows installation CD and the unlock code. If this is XP, do a repair install. Info here:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Charlie

ricardonivar

Default guys, i'm very thankfull of you!!!!

thanks to everyone help me in this issue , i found the problem this motherboard is bad , i'm gonna buy a new one i thank for all your help. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: