Default Can you use a CD burner to burn data onto a dvd writable?

The subject says it all. Sorry if it’s a dumb question. I just want to know if I can use my cd burner to write data to a dvd writable and make use of it’s 4.6 gigs of space. I know you can’t use a cd burner to burn movies to a dvd writable disk but for some reason it seems like a cd burner should be able to burn plain old data to a larger disk so I can back up my information. Thanks for any and all help!

Rob

Sorry the answer is no.

DVD burner can usually also burn to CD but not vice-versa.

For what it's worth DVD burners have came right down in price, maybe consider in investing in one?

Sorry but the answer is no. A DVD burner works in a different way to a CD burner and data is stored in layers on a DVD. Ironically you can make CD's in a DVD burner but that is of no use to you.
    Regards guy9663.

PS. Welcome to Help2Go.

Sorry no you can't. You can generally burn CD with a DVD player not DVD on a CD Burner.

Cheers

Wow, thanks guys. All three posts were made super quick and answered my question. Looks like i'll start looking into a good dvd writer. Thanks again,

Rob

It looks like this has been answered. Just wanted to throw in, If you look around you will probably be able to find a DVD burner under $50, under 75 for sure. As you spend more money, they get faster, but do you really need to burn a movie in 20 minutes instead of 35? I just want to be able to do it and have it work. Charlie

If your in the UK I would seriously reccoment the Sony D22A or newer model. I have this drive on my computer and it is absolutly perfect, it burns everything apart form DVD-RAM and can burn an average movie in about 8 mins I presume about 5 if I use quicker DVD + R as opposed to an 8x DVD - R. Price wise it cost me £35 I think.

My flatmate bought a similar spec samsung model and its burn quality is no-where near as good as I get. A lot of his discs have playing issues particularly near the end of the film, whereas I've burned dozens of discs without a failure.