Thread: Which laptop

Default Which laptop

I've a fairly small budget for a laptop. Can anyone suggest a make or a review website?
    Cheers.

We could do with knowing where your from as otherwise we may (and almost certainly will) suggest a laptop from another country.

If your in the UK I would suggest http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/de...=uk&l=en&s=gen I ddon't know hopw they are elsewhere but they have decent spec laptops for about £350.

From UK. Dell woud be my first option though me thinks.

last post was by me...for some reason I signed in as a guest :roll:

Also would be helpful to know what you are planning on doing with the computer. Charlie

Grim - Just using it for text, as in college study work.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

A question you must ask yourself is 'do I really need a laptop?'. If you have a limited budget, you get a better bang for your buck with a desktop PC. If you're set on a laptop I would strongly suggest you buy the longest warranty you can get. It does cost, but laptops do have problems, mainly associated with heat problems but not exclusively (this is from my own experience as well as the many posts on this site in this regard) and repairs are quite expensive.

Laptops are not easy to upgrade, so you want to buy everything you think you might need at the beginning. If this is primarily for word processing and internet, I would suggest the following specs:
    Processor speed- you should be able to find something around 2ghz at a good price. You don't need the faster 3ghz and up, so don't pay for it.

Processor brand- Personally I find little difference between AMD or Intel, let your budget guide you, but it should be a CPU designed for mobile (usually designated with an M) they run cooler.

Operating system- I don't find XP Pro worth the extra money, XP Home should be just fine.

Memory- 512mb is highly recommended, you may be tempted to go with 256 to save money, but you'll wish you had 512 later, so get it now.

Wireless g- yes, you are getting this for its portability, so it makes sense to get wireless capability.

A cd burner is a must these days, should also be able to read DVDs, DVD burner is optional if you have the money.

Hard drive size- Whatever your budget will allow, I would recommend at least 40gb.

USB 2.0 definitely, Firewire optional

Screen size- go to a store and look at different screens. There is a wide range of sizes and prices. You don't need to have super fast graphics which tends to drive up the price. Remember- a bigger screen may look nice, but it also means a bigger laptop and more weight to carry around.

I haven't mentioned brand. Shop around using these specs as a guide. Check Dell, Gateway, your local electronics store. I have a Compaq laptop that has been fine. Check out the deals, warranties and such to arrive at your decision.
    Charlie

Also, if you haven't found out already, it has been my experience that college professors want everything typed with Microsoft Word which is part of Microsoft Office. You may be able to get that bundled with the laptop at a reasonable price. If you can't, you should be able to buy an academic version at a considerable discount.