Thread: Computer Memory

Default Computer Memory

Hi,

For the last week or so I've been having problems with my comp and I finally got to the root of it and its my memory thats causing the problems. Now to my knowledge the memory is basically the heart of a computer and once that starts to go bad the computer is basically shot. I was told that its best to buy a new computer than to get a new memory because it may last 6 months to a year then conk out again. I would rather buy a new one than to have that happen.

So I have a few questions about this:

What makes a computer's memory go bad, also how can you check to see how much memory is stored on your computer, and how can I keep enough memory on my computer so it will function properly? All advice is appreciated~

Memory these days is surprisingly cheap. You can check how much memory you have by going to your control panel and selecting SYSTEM. Your computer should also show you the amount of memory (RAM) on one of the first screens during start up. You can also download BelArc advisor at www.belarc.com which will tell you more about how much memory you have. If you are interested in new memory, I would advise going to www.crucial.com . If you know the make and model number of your computer, it will search for the correct memory for you. If you don't, there is a system scanner that will scan your system and determine what you need. If you are running XP, I would suggest a minimum of 512mb of memory. If you are running 98 or ME, 256mb is more than enough. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Cheap memory will go bad earlier that quality components. Cheap PC's use cheap memory stick.
    Heat, dust, moisture and physical stress are the main causes.
    As for buying a new system just because the memory is bad is a ridiculous sugesstion.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

The memory from www.crucial.com will be quality memory at a surprisingly low price. Charlie

Quote Originally Posted by whoozhe
    As for buying a new system just because the memory is bad is a ridiculous sugesstion.
    Agreed.
    Still using IE?
    Get Firefox!

My Homepage