serg

Default PC updates/ thumb drives

Hi,

I've heard that getin all the updates for anti-spyware freeware like Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpywareGuard, Spybot - Search & Destroy, SpywareBlaster Norton anti-virus program and the Windows updates will take a lot of space over time on the hard drive. Is this true? if so, couldn't I store the updates on a thumb drive, those portable ones, and then when I use my computer have that pluged in? Can that be done? If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it, I hope I explained the question right.

Thanks

I really don't think it is a problem. How big is your hard drive? Clean unnecessary clutter from your drive regular. A very good free program is Ccleaner available here:
    www.ccleaner.com

Defragment your drive at least once a month, more often if necessary and you should be fine. The best thing you could do for your computer would be to add 256mb more memory. XP will run on 256, but is prone to slowing down and pausing due to using virtual memory from hard drive. It will run better with 512mb.

Charlie

Hi Grim322,

I have a 40GB Ultra DMA hard drive

I do clean my cache files every time I get out of the net. I haven't defrag my drive in a LONG time. This is not my pc so I cant get more RAM.

Any idea how long will it take to defrag a 40GB hard drive?

thanks.....sorry any comments on the thumb drive issue?

If it hasn't been done in awhile, it could take over an hour. It will be quicker the next time. I don't think the thumb drive has enough capacity to really make a difference. How much free space do you have on the hard drive? As long as you have at least 20% free, things should be OK. Charlie

Hi there,

I have about 84% left. Ok then I'll do that thanks a lot grim322