Default Help with tutorial.

Hi folks.
    I've looked at and followed the steps in the tutorial about "Browse the Web without Advertising" (link below).
    For the life of me I cannot see an Adblock tag when it comes to blocking flash advertising re steps 26, 27 & 28.
    I have the latest Firefox and all the plugins and I can block static adverts.
    What am I doing wrong?
    Regards guy9663.

http://www.help2go.com/article234.html

Member Help2Go Moderator

I have yet to install firefox but am curious. Do you not see the "adlock" button image next to or below the Flash Ad on the website? If not, I guess there's another way around it. You could view the source of the page and in notepad (or whatever your default program is for viewing page source for websites is) do a search for .swf or .fla (for flash extensions) and then add that to the filter. That is until someone else that runs firefox and as this plug-in installed is able to offer more assistance.

Partie™

Hi Partie.
    Yes I do mean I can't see the Adblock tag. I'm not sure that I understand how to do the bit about viewing the page source. But that said is it necessary? I think I must be doing something wrong or am missing a plugin somewere.
    Regards guy9663

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It might be that the AdBlock tag below the Flash ad is obscured in some way by another image. I've seen this happen once or twice.

You are sure that you are seeing a Flash ad, right? Right-click on the ad and see if a Flash movie menu comes up instead of the normal Firefox context menu.

The ads on these sites change quite a bit (they are constantly rotated), so even though you may see what looks to be the same ad as in the tutorial, it might or might not be a Flash ad.
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Yes it is a flash ad. The menu that appears is exactly like the one shown in the tutorial. I actually tried it out on one of the sites used in the tutorial (Wall Street Journal).
    By the way osc thanks for the PDF version.
    Regards guy9663.

Osc
    Administrator Help2Go Administrator Osc's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I looked into it a bit further, and discovered some things which need to be put into the tutorial, and one of which might help you.

First is that the Adblock tag doesn't always appear in the bottom left corner, sometimes it's the top right.

Second, and more pertinent, is that if a Flash animation doesn't have that AdBlock tag to click on, you can choose from the Firefox menu Tools->Adblock->Overlay Flash (Ctrl-Shift-F). This will erase the Flash animation and provide a big box to click on for the Adblock Add Filter dialog box.

I'll add these into the tutorial tomorrow...
    Oscar Sodani
    Help2Go Administrator
    4 ways to thank Help2Go

Great stuff osc. The overlay flash item worked. Many thanks.
    Regards guy9663.