Default bios doesn't see it a new hard disk

Hi!I need help, I have just replaced a new hard drive disk(Seagate Momentus, 60G, 8 Mb buffer, 5400mpr) into my Inspiron 5100, removed an adapter and installed it to a new one, and when I boot my computer it says that "media test failure:check cable", what should I do?And BIOS doesn't see my hard drive disk at all. Any help would be appreciate it.
    just wanted to add some information, I have checked the jumpers on both hdds and it looks like they have different configuration for slave and cable select.Does it mean then, that I bought a wrong hard drive for my laptop?(my old hdd was Hitachi DK23EA30).Many thanks

Member Help2Go Moderator

I have checked the jumpers on both hdds and it looks like they have different configuration for slave and cable select
    You either need to set them both as cable select or one as master and one as slave. You can do this by looking at the hard drive(s) from the top and removing the shunt and placing it over the correct jumpers.

Partie

Check the ribbon cable is connected properly at both ends, also make sure the power cable is connected properly. If this is the only hard drive attached to the ribbon cable the jumper should be set to Master, otherwise Slave or Cable Select (if using Cable Select both drives on the cable must have this jumper setting).
    When you say that you 'removed an adapter' what do you mean ?

my old one which is Hitachi I want to replace to a new one which is Seagate Momentus, and when I removed my old hdd there is an adapter that I have to remove it and place to a new one.The power is fine, no problem with it, when I boot my computer BIOS shows "no disk" for hard drive but it reads the serial number for the hard drive disk.and if I follow further it says again"MEDIA TEST FAILURE:CHECK CABLE".

please help, any suggestion what did I do wrong?

Have you formattted the new drive ?
    Go here http://www.pcnineoneone.com/howto/idedrv1.html and have a good read through the steps necessary.
    Post back if you need any further assistance.