Default Outlook wont run

Today I performed a Hotsync with my Handspring PDA & the connection was lost during the task. Since then Outlook will not run! I get the Splash screen then the CPU jumps to 99% and stays there permanently. I have tried uninstalling both Office 2000 & the Handspring & reinstalling but it remains the same. I run XP pro. The PDA has a USB or Serial connected cradle. I have used Norton to check for viruses of which I found 2 and they were fixed & also Windoctor - this found a file 'gapi32.dll' missing & so I looked in the folder where it should be & found all the files missing (Program files/common files/system/mapi/1033/nt). These I replaced from a backup drive but this made no difference either. Reinstalling Office 2000 on an alternative drive doesnt help either. All other Office programs run AOK & the pst file is still intact. The PDA still syncs OK and data is transferred but Outlook will not run!

Any thoughts please!?

Have you tried a system restore back to a point before the problem? Charlie

System restore did not help but have now fixed the problem with the help of advice from this site:- http://www.howto-outlook.com/