Default Problem setting up a router with comcast cable

I am having a heck of a time setting up my wireless router (Netgear MR814V2) with my comcast connection. What I have done is made sure the mac address used by the router is the same as the modem (RCA DCM245) since I know that comcast registers these addresses to use their service. I also entered into the router specific DNS server addresses to use. When I had SBC dsl, the lack of these addresses was the problem. After completing these steps, I powered down everything and turned them on in this order after blinking lights ceased: modem, router, pc. I do not have a static IP address. Comcast claims I shouldnt have to do any special settings to my router, just set everything to automatically detect. However, that seems to be untrue. I cant call netgear since I bought this router too long ago. My pc is physically connected to the router, well not at the moment, and I am running xp. Anyone know what to do?

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

At a guess you may have a compatability problem.
    When setting up make sure any firewall is disabled.
    Have you updated the firmware for both?
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I checked for updates, but there werent any that I could find. I was able to get a connection with the router hooked up by changing the mac address on the router to the one of my pc. However, it was a horrible connection (i.e. it would lose it, was extremely slow, I was messanging with someone and I had ping times ranging from 30 seconds to 1.5 minutes!). Finally, it would redirect me to some comcast page I hadnt seen before- which leads me to believe this has to do with my isp. Unfortunately, they are of no help because "they dont deal with that." The installer left no information for my modem, so I'll have to google the model to see if I can access it to find out if there is a setting I have to change. Any ideas?