Default Not sure if I have a problem or not....

My question is about high temps within my tower.

First of all, I have a custom built computer, just over 2 years old.

It has:

AMD XP 2200 CPU
    512 MB of DDR Ram
    Maxtor 60 GB 7200 rpm Hard Drive.

The case has 4 fans.

I am running WinXP Home.

I have a piece of software called HDD Health which I've had for about a year. It quietly monitors the HD in the background.

Problem. Over the last several days I've been occasionally getting a high temperature warning from HDD, saying the temp of the HD is critical (eg. 46 or 47 degrees Celcius) The alarm is set for anything over 45. I've checked the fans, and they are all running. The case has plenty of breathing room all around it. For the last day, I've been running the computer with the side off (so I can check the fans), and today the alarm has gone off once, after about 2 hours of useage.

When the alarm goes off, I shut down the computer and wait for 5 minutes or so for the temp to cool, and re-boot.

I have used compressed air to blow out all the dust, especially around the fans.

Does anyone what is happening? Is the HD on the way out? Do I need to replace the fan(s)? This problem has never occurred before.

Before you had any problems, do you know what temp your hard drive usually ran at? Charlie

Default HD Temp

Alas... no.

I've found that both my desktops with Maxtor drives usually trip the temperature alarm on HDD Health, operating around 47 and 49 degrees celcius during normal use. When I encountered this problem I checked the Maxtor website and I saw that the drives I run have maximum operating temperatures of 55 and 60 degrees, so I reset the temperature alarm on HDD health to sound at 51 degrees and haven't had a problem since.

My older desktop has been running nearly constantly with it's drive at 49 degrees for two years now and I haven't had any problems with it, so I shouldn't worry about it unduly unless the temperature continues to rise past 50 degrees. You should probably check what the maximum operating temperature of your drive is on the Maxtor website just to be safe.

Hope this was some help.

Hallo Marshall - I run the same software and the only time temps increase( to 50) with my Maxtor is during defrag, otherwise it runs fairly constant 44/45. No doubt, like all other computer people, you will have all important stuff backed up :wink: Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default HD

Thanks galena and arkhangelsk. You've set my mind at ease. I will reset my alarm setting and see what I can find out at Maxtor.

:wink:

Default HD

I just checked at Maxtor, and the ceiling for temps (all of their HDs) is 55 degrees. Thanks again for the advice. :wink: