Thread: CPU fan advice

Default CPU fan advice

hey guys,
    My CPU fan is on its way out, my cpu is an AMD Athlon XP 2100 and i was wondering what would be a good fan to replace the one i have thats dieing?

Thanks in Advance

It depends on how much you are willing to spend, how much noise you are willing to put up with and if you overclock or not.

My best suggestion would be a Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu for you. It will fit practically any CPU. Depending on your CPU temperature you may be able to get it to run in silent mode. These heasinks/fans are renound for their low noise output and high thermal conductance.

It would be best to double check if they are compatible before you buy, see here: http://www.zalmanusa.com/usa/usa_index.asp if your Mobo and CPU are not listed send them an email and they should get back to you very quickly (they did with me anyway).

I'm sure others will have input so stay tuned but that's my choice.

Cheers, Dave.

cheap, but does the job sound doesnt bother me too much. Thanks for your speedy reply any other suggestions are welcomed also.

There are many different brands of fans available. If noise isn't an issue, just due your homework and check out what is available and what the price ranges are. You probably don't need the most expensive, but I would also stay away from the cheapest. Some will come with thermal compound already applied, others will need you to apply thermal paste. I prefer the ones that have it already applied as it is one less thing for you to worry about. Here is a link to a tutorial. Charlie
    http://www.jsyte.com/tutorials/replacehsf/