Thread: Saving email

Default Saving email

This may not be a new topic, so please excuse me for my ignorance.

I have a large file of genealogical email on my hard drive and would like, need to, move them to a CD where I can browse them when needed. They contain images, jpg's, which are the main focus of the mail. All my attempts at opening them ends up with a text type rendering of the photos which defeats the purpose of saving them as in the original letter. I have found that I can save the individual emails, one at a time, to a separate folder on my hard drive by using 'save as', but going back and using that idea on this many emails, one at a time, gives me nightmares, there is so many!

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Wes

Hallo wescher - go here - http://www.steve.maurer.net/tutorial...ving_email.htm
    you will need to substitute you drive letter to replace A. As is mentioned in the article, it is best to COPY the emails and then delete them when you are satisified that they have been copied ok to your cd. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Default Saving email

Didn't work for me. I got one of those do not cross signs whenever I dragged and dropped an email on it.

I can only speak for Outlook Express as I do not use Thunderbird.

OE stores emails (and their attachments) in a proprietary format which makes things tricky. Also I might add that this advice is theory based on some experience with OE. I am not sure it will acheive entirely what you want but give it a go if you wish.

First right click the inbox folder in OE & select properties. You should see the path where your emails are stored, not in the OE program file folder as you might expect. Mine are stored in the following path, but yours may be different:
    C:\Documents and Settings\your account name or administrator here\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{long series of letter & digits here}\Microsoft\Outlook Express\Inbox.dbx
    Make a note or copy this path.

Now download & run a freeware tool called DBXtract from here:
    http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/fil...3383&fileidx=1

Enter the path you noted above in the input field.

Enter where you want the stored emails to go in the output path. Create a new folder on your desktop and use that as the output path.

Now hit extract and wait. This part can take a long time if you have a lot of emails.

What you should end up with is all of your emails in the new folder you created in a readable .eml format. You can now burn these to CD if you wish.

Default Saving email

Well, it looks as if I will have to covert to Outlook Express or abandon the idea of saving to a CD. Unless there is some other method that can work.

Thanks for the ideas.

Wes