Default BEST affordable DVD writer available...!!!

BEST affordable DVD writer available...!!!

Hi everyone,

I am currently having SAMSUNG combo drive (dont know what combo means) which is i believe

cd rom + cd writer + dvd reader (NOT dvd writer)

SO I am planning to purchase DVD writer....???

Q. Which is the best DVD writer cum reader available for home desktop users...???

Q. Is it worth it or should i stick with my CD writer only...???

Q. plz suggest considering one which is compatible with all DVDs...and future technologies...???

Again Cost is not really an issue (unless it is exorbitant) but i should get value for money....

Remember plz....Ur recommendation is my verdict....

Thanks

sunando

Well I use & recomend the NEC3520. Is realiable and burns most formats including dual layer. You can buy it online for approx £40 GBP.

http://www.nec.co.uk/DVD_RW_ND3520.aspx

I use the Sony D22A, writes to both plus and minus, as well as dual layer. 8x for minus, 16x for plus so its more than fast enough and its around £30-335 oem (i.e. no cables OR software).

Link : here

One thing you do have to consider is whether you want an oem drive or not. Some come with cables, some don't, most don't come with software although you don't always need it if you already have nero for instance. As far as I have found you don't need specific drivers as windows xp will automatically install some for you, although getting better ones from the manufacturer never hurts

I had a quick look for an NEC drive too, I found the upgrade from the one listed above the ND3540A here] for about £32 which may also be worth a look. Of course if your not in the UK both of those sites will not prove too useful but its worth a try.

I just got a NEC 3520A for about $49.00 USD (including shipping). Does everything I want it to do. However this was considered a "Hot Deal/Sale"

As far as
    and future technologies
    who knows. 4 or 5 years ago 3 1/2 floppies were the future, now many PC can't even run them.

Cheers

Indeed, the future for DVD formats is uncertain at the moment - in fact there is a war brewing a la VHS vs Betamax: http://www.allheadlinenews.com/cgi-b...241429720&fa=1

That article states blu-ray will hold 25GB but I hav eread various other articles that suggest 50GB.

The cold truth is that you cannot really future proof yourself when it comes to technology. The suggestions made above are good suggestions for now....but iin a year or two we will all need to upgrade if we want to burn those 50GB dvd's!