Default My computer's very SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

So, my computer has been VERY SLOW for a long time over 4 months or so, and now I'm getting really pissed

How is it slow?
    Well, for an example, if when I want to shutdown, I of course klick start --> shutdown computer
    then the most annoying problem happens, it takes 1 minute 57 seconds for the shutdown window to come up, with my friends computers it comes up in a few seconds. and then the actual shutdown takes 5 - 10 minutes.

I have tried MANY things, have tweaked xp with all kinds of programs, I have AVG antivirus, I have Zonealarm, I have sbybot search & destroy, I have Ad-Aware, and the list goes on...

My computer is bought in early summer of 2002

I hope someone can help.

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Have you defragmented and run disk cleanup?* How much free space do you have on your hard drive?* You are running XP on 256 RAM (along with other programs), 256 is the recommended minimum for XP.* Upgrading to 512 would make a big difference in your speed.*

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Try looking at http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    This site covers just about every XP shutdown problem known to mankind.
    One of the big causes come from media players and the horrible Norton junk.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

I have run disk cleanup and defragmented bougth hard drives.
    I have 25 giga's left on my e drive, and about 3 on the C.
    That site you posted whoozhe, nothing of that rally helps. :cry:

What do you have on C drive and how big is it? All drives should be no more than 80% full

i.e.- if you have a 60 gig HD it should not have more than 48 gig used on it. This could cause slow shut down.

Cheers

C: 18.6 Giga's , 3.72 giga's left
    E: 74.5 Giga's, 22.4 giga's left

Sorry, I am not sure I believe you. 18.6 gig and you have 3.72, which is exactly to the 100th %, of being 80% full

Remember that you are the one having a problem. Not enough RAM, to full HD,to many things running, software and/or hardware conflicts can be causing your problems

BG

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

Looks like you have C: drive with 20 gig and E: drive with 100 gigs.* If C: drive has less than 4 gigs of free space it will start to run slow, suggest you clean up the disk and remove any unused program and or files (either save them to disk or put on E: drive).* As your E: drive is not used for an operating system (windows 98,ME or XP) you should be ok, but would suggest you leave yourself some 'elbow' room on the disk to be able to run various utilities such as defragmentor etc.* I try and backup anything that hasn't been used for the past 3 to 6 months to disk and either cut down the files or delete the program (make sure you have a copy of the program and any updates before deleting).*

I got my shutdown much faster with a progam called PC booster, now it takes less than 10 seconds, not 1 minute 56 seconds.
    But the programs are still a bit slow, i'll delete something from C.