Default wireless router vs. cable gateway??

First question, what is the difference between a router and a gateway? From the research that I have been doing slowly, it appears that there is a compatibility issue between my modem (RCA dcm245) and my wireless router (netgear mr814v2). That router served me well until I switched ISP's and got this modem. Therefore, it seems I must change one of the two but I figure it's time to upgrade my router anyway so I will go with that.
    Second question, does anyone know a good matchup with this router, or at least a liberal one, that has wired ports as well as wireless? Would I be better off with a gateway (if its different that is)? Better yet, is there a site out there that has compatibility data? You guys rock!

OS- windows xp sp2

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

The netgear mr814v2 should have a cable that allows you to hook it up to the modem.
    The method is the connect your main computer to the router by cable. Connect the router to the modem.
    Other computers can then share internet access and/or be part of a network by installing a wireless adapter to each, be it USB, PCI card or PCMCIA card.
    The router you have can also be used as a Printer Server so it too can be connected to the router by cable and shared with other computers.
    have a look at http://www.netgear.com/products/details/MR814.php
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks for the input Whooze, but the problem isnt connecting the router to the modem. This I understand. The problem is that the connection is VERY unstable and VERY slow. I was able to find posts at various places with people having similar problems with the combination of this equipment. Im just hoping to get a pointer as to which router I should replace it with. Thanks again

Hey visajoe1,
    same problem happens here. i agreed there is incompatible issue, and also, when ever I browse a website which require redirect URL, it won't work. Once I skipped the DCM245 router, everything works fine and fast.
    where did you find out the incompatible issue. can you share some light of your findings.

hippodog- i found out about the incompatibility by searching with google. i found some posts somewhere else about people having problems with the combination of this netgear router and this rca modem. and in my experience, it proved to be true. so, i just unplugged the router. im sure any newer router will work fine. good luck

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

This is an ongoing problem between router companies and ISPs. Each pointing the finger at the other. Netgear products did not want to work with my cable company and I ended up with D-link which does. Some say the cable companies are responsible for this so that you're forced to pay for additional connections .. not too sure about this.

Call your ISP and ask which router they recommend in conjunction with their modem. It's worth a shot.

thanks canuck, ill give it a shot because i sure dont want to buy a router from my isp. btw, its funny i dropped by this forum today since i havent been by in months and the question i posed a long time ago is getting more responses. anyway, take care everyone and good luck with incompatibilities of all types.