Default - Application Error - 0xc0000005

Please Help!

I am running xp home w/sp2 on my pc. Many programs won't run. Some work and others don't. The ones that don't work, when I try to open something, I get the 0xc0000005 error. For example, I will double click the norton antivirus (I have Norton Systemworks Pro 2004 and Norton Internet Security 2004 on my sytem. They have worked fine in the past. I really don't think that they are what is causing the problem) icon on my taskbar and a small window pops up saying

"NMain.exe - Application Error .. The Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005). Click on OK to terminate the application."

I click ok and the window pops up again. I click ok again and it goes away. This also happens when I do ctrl+alt+del. I can't open the taskmanager. The same error (but with taskmgr.exe in the heading) appears. I have to click twice to close it. When I right click on my desktop and click on properties I get the same error (with rundll32.exe in the heading). I get the rundll32.exe error when trying to access anything in the control panel. I can't open the add/remove programs without getting the error. When I try to install something I get the (msiexec.exe) 0xc0000005 error also. I can't open the windows notepad or calculator either without getting the same error message.

I don't understand why some programs work and others don't. IE and firefox both work and my internet connection is fine. I also can't access very much through the run command. I type in msconfig and nothing happens.

With my norton antivirus, I can't access it but it still works. I know this because a scheduled system check up runs everyday at 5:30 pm. I was able to run a virus scan through one button checkup. The scan came up clean. I also ran ad-aware se pro, Microsoft antispyware, and spybot and they came up with nothing also. So I don't think it is a virus or malware.

This problem started about 2 days ago. I don't know what caused it. Since it started happening though, I sometimes also have trouble booting up. Sometimes the windows boot screen will take 10-15 minutes. I also have trouble restarting/shutting down. It takes long and the taskmgr program not responding - end now - screen will pop up multiple times for different programs. I also think that maybe some things aren't loading right on startup. Before this problem, when I logged in to my user account, it would take a little longer for the startup programs to load...(not really long or anything) Now when I log in...everything is done loading very quickly. I think that some things aren't loading correctly.

Though I couldn't access msconfig through the run command, I checked my startup programs through microsoft antispyware and spybot. Everything looked fine. I couldn't load the taskmgr to look at the running processes so I used the adaware process watch. It was kind of complicated to understand so I just used the microsoft antispyware to view the processes. I think everything looked ok. I didn't notice anything suspicious.

I have tried various things to try to fix this problem, but since I don't know what exactly is causing this problem, I haven't been successful. I have run windows update, updated my anti-virus, and run a disc check twice. I have tried to restore my computer to a previous date twice and been unsuccessful. I did a Google search and didn't find anything relevant.

I can go into safe mode and everything seems to work okay. I don't get the 0xc0000005 error and I can use the run command and access the msconfig utility. I don't know what to do to fix this problem. I don't know if there is a problem with the registry or startup services or what....

I hope I have described everything sufficiently. If anyone knows a solution, please respond. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The first thing to try seeing as the problem is only two days old is System Restore. Access it through Start> All programs> Accessories> System Tools>System Restore. Pick a date in bold before you started having problems and see if that fixes your problems.

Out of the errors you listed, the fist is indeed a problem with Norton. You could try reinstalling Norton and see if this error goes away.

The rundll32.exe and msiexec.exe error are both Windows components. These may be fixed by the restore but if not you could try running a Check Disk to try and fix these errors. Go to Start>Run> type in chkdsk /f (note the space between the k and /) >OK. A message will appear asking you if it is ok to run on boot up so press OK and let it do its thing.

See if these two solutions solve your problem, if not, post back and I'm sure we will have some more advise for you. You may also want to run through ll the steps here: http://www.help2go.com/article217.html just to make sure there is no Malware related problem.

Cheers, Dave.

Thank you for your quick response Dave. I have already tried System Restore and it didn't work. I even tried different restore dates.

I really don't think that Norton is the problem. But I would remove it just in case it was if I could. I cannot remove any program from my system though, because every time I try to access the add/remove programs in the control menu, I get the rundll32.exe application failed 0xc000005 error message. I have tried going into safe mode and removing programs but I get an error message stating that the windows installer cannot operate in safe mode.

As for Check Disk, I cannot access it through the run command. As I stated previously, when I try to enter a command I either get the application error message or nothing happens at all. But I had already accessed Check Disc through the c:\ drive's property menu previously. I've done a check disc twice already and it solved nothing. I am reluctant to try it again so soon, as it is a time consuming process.

As for Malware, I have found none on my system. I have done scans with Norton antivirus, Trend Micro, Microsoft Antispyware, Spybot, and Ad-aware SE Pro. None found spyware/malware/viruses.

If you have any other advice, I'd be glad to hear it.

Thanks