Default I can't install windows xp sevice pack 2...

I have been trying to install windows xp service pack 2 onto my pc, I was unable to download it from the net so requested the disc from microsoft to install myself.
    I am still unable to install it... it says it's unable to install and something about my version of windows xp may not be genuine and that I should contact them to report piracy (or something along those lines)
    I bought my pc from a friend last year and it was already running xp... now I'm worried it may not be a genuine version???
    Does anyone know if there is a way I can install this update without having to contact microsoft... I'm worried that even though this pc was already running xp when I bought it, if I contact them I may still be liable... Help please!

Thanx in advance
    Clare x

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

I would suggest you contact Microsoft and check this out. There is a validation check in MS somewhere, but couldn't find it. If your copy is indeed a pirated copy go and buy a legit copy as you'll continue to have update problems. I'd also confront your friend about this.