Default Trying to Format using floppy disc, encountered a problem

I'm using windows xp.

Alright so I am putting together a new computer but I want to reuse these hard drives so I have to format them right? Ok so I put in the floppy disc format it, make it an MS Dos start up disc and restart my computer with the floppy.

I restart my computer and everything seems to be going fine and the MS Dos start up floppy loads.

Its all loaded up and I type Format, nothing happens. I try all the following

format
    format c:
    format c:/
    exit

and nothing works. Please help me format my hard drive for my new computer.

With XP, you should be able to set your BIOs to boot from the CD drive, put in the installation CD, choose new installation and proceed. It should reformat your drive for you. Charlie

If you just want to reformat then do as Grim advises: Set 1st boot device in BIOS to CD drive and boot up with XP CD in drive, delete existing partition and new install.

If you want to get your hard drives totally blank like they just came from the factory you need to use something like a hard drive manufacturers utility to fill the drive with zero's (check your HDD MFG's website) or my preference is DBAN which will securely wipe all data from the HDD including any OS, ideal if you are selling your PC. Be warned it will also delete any data in hidden partitions so if you only have a recovery CD as oppose to full install OS then it is not a good idea to use this. Use the floppy version if possible as it seems to work better than the CD version and in any case the image is only tiny. Remember ALL DATA & PROGRAMS WILL BE LOST!
    http://dban.sourceforge.net/

Just a thought. Did your startup floppy have the file Format.com on it?</p>

Anyway did you get any error messages on screen when you tried formatting?*</p>
    Not to rust unburnished, but to shine in use - Tennyson