Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Yelp, probably it is dying

i just saw that the fan for my power supply is not moving at all. i thought the dust was clogging it up but removing it didn't help. it tried to move but it barely can. i guess it could use some oil? could the power supply over heating have something to do with my ruined HD?

A bad power supply problem probably did not cause the HD problem.

A clicking HD is the Read Arm searching of section of the HD to read, if the drive info is bad it will not work.

Think of read arm like an old tone arm on a record player, it goes over the "Track" to get the information it needs. If this track is bad or the needle (read arm) is bad it "skips", does not "play"

Best advice again is to install the old HD as a slave and try to copy the things you need.

As far as the power supply, unless you are really familiar with these type of things, they are best left to experts. Even un plugged there is a enough voltage" stored" to hurt you and or cause damage to the PC

Cheers

thanks for the advice on the hd/power supply. there's no way of checking to see if i can get the fan going without getting my self electricuted huh? alright i guess ill scrap the dough rae me and take it to a mom and pop repair shop. who knows how high the fees are with geek sqaud with the overhead of gasoline travel and automobile maintenance :P

Hi Dns - This IS a serious suggestion. This sounds weird but you have nothing to lose. This fix for dead hard drive is used by some techies and is reputed to work....sometimes. Remove hard drive and place into an anti-static bag. Place the anti-static bagged hard drive into a freezer bag and seal the bag with the usual tie. Guess what comes next... Yes, you are correct, place the packaged hard drive in the freezer. Now opinions vary on the length of time to leave the hard drive in the freezer but most popular choice is overnight. Now this is the part where you need to be quick. The following day remove the hard drive and reinstall it and boot up your system. Prior to installing the hard drive ensure you have everything ready to copy the files you want. All this should be done as speedily as possible. If this works and the system boots then copy all required files as quickly as possible. If it works ok it is still likely to fail again as the temperature of the hard drive rises. If you get this far and it fails again then just repeat the procedure. Some have managed to revive a hard drive up to four times in this way and copied important files before the drive was beyond revival. Give it a try and post back whether it works or not as I'm sure everyone would be interested in the outcome. Regards.
    PS to Moderators. If this works then I thing it is worth a ten star rating for the most bizarre fix ever and I should be promoted to the dizzy heights of Wondrous Guru, or even Illustrious Guru. Yep, that's one for me, Illustrious Guru. Night All. zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

I have heard of that freezer fix, but I haven't tried it. As far as the power supply goes, as Basementgeek suggested, I would not mess around inside of the power supply, but I have no problem with completely replacing it. Illustrated instructions here:
    http://www.fonerbooks.com/r_power.htm
    Charlie

well i might jus have someone take a look at its fan since i'm sure its a minor problem. the less money i spend the better tbh. and thanks galena for your idea. i will try it as soon as i buy a anti static bag. a few things though: what sort of programs could i use to copy that stuff from the dead slave hd to the living master one? my master has xp pro on it on the dead one also has xp pro. thanks again for all of your help and trying to help

Hi Dns - You don't have XP discs? If not, are your copies of XP legitimate?
    When I say copying files I refer to documents, music, pictures etc. not operating systems. It is H2G site policy not to assist in any way with copying/pirating of software. In addition, I don't believe it is possible to simply copy an operating system from your drive. If it IS possible you can be assured that Microsoft will have programmed things so that you can't. Regards.[/b]
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

i didn't mean that and yes they're legit. i meant copying the files like docs/images etc etc from the crappy hd. its OS is xp pro. not the os files but the other ones :P i will prolly need some sort of file copying tool? so what would you or anyone else suggest for the fastest copying/transfering of said files?. i also noticed, while looking @ new hard drives, that they have 2 diffferent types of IDE connections?? does it matter which one? i think it said something like ide ultra 100 and ide ultra133?

Hallo again Dns - Do you not have a CDRW? This would probably be your best option. I use Pinnacle 8 but it costs :cry: . No doubt someone here will be able to recommend a freebie. Grim will be able to advise on the technicalities of installing CDRW and your IDE question. Regards.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast