Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Emergency: CPU makes noise of boot down, screen freezes.....

this happened all of a sudden. i was loading a website and suddenly the cpu/insides made the sound/noise of then it boots down. a sort of clicking sound. it did this 4-5 times. durring the sound durration, xp would completely freez up except the mouse pointer. i continued to load the webpage and then it froze up again right when those exact sounds eminated from the case. this time there were more of them. this time hte mouse pointer froze up with the rest of the screen. i stayed there confused and baffled by this for a few munutes untill i decied to hard boot. then when it did i saw a system message of "please insert system diskete and press any key to reboot." i thought it was a mistake so i tried to get past it but no goo. so i put in my disk, went to the recovery console and now it says "the specified drive is not valid, or there is no disk in the drive.": when i try to run chkdsk. "c:\>chkdsk" i tried to get it from the disk but i think it wont let me. im a novice so dos commands are difficult anyway. what can i do?! im not even sure happened 8O :? :x :evil: :?:

im not sure if this is any help but i did update to the latest security stuff a few days ago. i just hope thats not it. thanks for any helpo

First guess - Hard drive is dead or dying

BG

ahhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo

funny though b/c the HD is a lot younger than the motherboard/processor. ;/

i have that cd... windows ultamite boot cd? maybe its bartpe thing can help me?

Take the side of the computer case off and see if you can actually determine where the sound is coming from, but it does sound like hard drive, as most other sources of noise would not immediately lock up your computer. Charlie

unfortunately the sound hasn't come back. i can't even get on windows xp for that matter. when i tried to use this 3rd party boot cd and use chkdsk it failed. saying stuff like it could not find the drive? its the same story with other recovery applications on that cd. they couldn't find the drive. well the c drive... :S

Check the obvious things like cables and such. Make sure all cables are firmly installed to harddrive and motherboard. Charlie

i popped out the harddrive so i could download some diagnostic tools from maxtor. as far as i know the harddrive and its connections were secure. wish me luck

well it looks like im out of luck guys. first i'd like to say thanks for the help i tied and you tried Second, i'd like to know if anyone knows of a place/establishment that does data recovery/harddrive fixing for cheap? thanks for any help once again

The first thing I would try is hooking the old hard drive as a slave drive in a working computer. It may not be working good enough to load Windows, but if it is working at all, you may be able to pull your info into the other computer. Data recovery can be done, but I don't think you are going to find it cheap. Good luck getting through it. In the future, always have backups of anything you consider important such as photos, tax returns, and such. The best way I have found is to burn 2 copies to CD, keep one. then give the other CD to a family member for safe keeping. Remember, burned Cds aren't forever, so burn new ones every 6 months or so.

Charlie

Administrator Help2Go Administrator Canuck's Avatar

If you are able to do as Grimm suggests by making the drive into a slave on another PC, you could try using this free file recovery program http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/welcome.htm . Some of us have had success with it .. it may help. Please keep us updated on your progress.

well i haven't been able to do so as of yet. but i have some bad news. there's a clicking noise coming from within the hd and the bios doesn't even detect the hd thats pretty effed up you would say eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast