Thread: fax modem

Default fax modem

Is there any way to have a broadband modem installed as well as a dialup modem. The reason I pose this question is because I used to be able to send faxes through my dialup modem and pay my local telephone service a slightly higher call fee. But now that I have upgraded to broadband, to send a fax through broadband you have to pay a monthly supscription fee to the company of your choice and this is unsuitable as I would be lucky to send/ receive 1 fax a month. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou for reading.

P4 1.9GHz, 1GB pc2100, D-Link DSL504G (broadband modem), (dialup modem is a DFM-560E).

Is your broadband cable or dsl? I think if you just run a regular phone line to your fax modem you can still use it, might need to change some settings. Charlie

Yes it is possible to use conventional fax on your pc & broadband at the same time on the same line so long as you have the appropriate software & a fax/voice dial up modem in addition to your broadband modem, which I assume you do if you was using this service before you upgraded to broadband. You also need a microfilter at the phone wall socket, as you do to use your line for voice calls while connected to the net via broadband.

Fax singles are no different from voice singles in terms of the frequency range they occupy on your telephone line, so you can use the same line to talk on the phone or send/receive faxes or even dial up to the internet while already connected via your broadband connection (no point in doing this though obviously!).

You cannot use a broadband modem to send receive faxes conventionally as it uses different frequencies from voice/fax/dial up.

This is all asuming we are talking about ADSL broadband.

The only part I dont understand is why you needed to pay higher call charges to send faxes? A fax call should cost the same as a voice call to any given phone number for that duration of time.

Thankyou Grim322 & Shinobi for your replies. I do have ADSL Broadband.
    Shinobi as far as I understand, apparently our main phone service provider in Aust. can differentiate between voice and data calls in relation to talk and fax calls. From memory (been a while since I have been able to send faxes) the call fee is 50c instead of the normal call fee. Generally if you go to a Post Office or a newsagent to do this they will charge you $1-$2 to send a fax for you, to cover their time and the extra cost of the call. I used to design the fax in MS Office and send from there. Thanks again for both of your replies, it has shed light on this subject for me.

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You cannot have a dialup modem and ADSL connected at the same time.
    Here are some tips.
    A filter is needed for any phone device as ong as the ADSL modem is attached.
    To connect with a dialup modem simply unplu the ADSL modem from the phone line, plug in the Dialup modem and fire away.
    If you send a lot of faxes plain paper faxr machines are dirt cheap these days and can be run, with a line filter, alongside your adsl connection.
    One other alternative is to you an online fax service such as EFax. Using this service you can fax any text file from your computer to any fax machine.
    The other method is scan the document and email it.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.