Thread: HDD problems

Default HDD problems

Hi I am having a strange problem. The last time when I close down my computer it was OK, (when I finished my work in the computer and shutdown in the usual normal way it was OK and it shutdown). The next day when I start my computer up it could not boot to Windows, in the primary startup I notice at the left corner it state something like 'NTFS not initialazed 00...' with a number follows which I could not remembered. After that when it boot pass and starting windows it appear a BSOD with the usaual long lists of things. I tried to go in Safe mode but could not reach it, the BSOD appear after when it start processing the drivers. Now in this hdd my OS is win xp pro with 1st. partition xp pro. (ntfs) and the other two partitions in FAT32. I tried to place this drive as slave and the other hdd also xp pro (all partition in fat32) to pri.master. It also failed to open the 'C' partition (ntfs) although it detect the drive, it keep asking whether I want to format it. Popup message >Disk is not formatted: the disk in drive 'E' is not fomatted. Do you want to format it now? I wanted to know how if it still recoverable could get back some files I needed from there that drive. Thanks.

Set the bad drive jumper to slave and hook it up to a working computer. The working computer will see the files on the bad drive (if the drive is working), you can then copy the files to the good drive. Charlie

Default HDD problems

Hi thanks for your reply, I have already fixed it that way, maybe it is NTFS so the partition was not visible the other 2 partition can be seen. I am hooking it in my computer and running xp pro but is formatted FAT32. Please let me know is there a chance of recovering the files in that partition (ntfs partition). Thanks.

If the computer you are running it off of is running XP, it should see the NTFS partition. Windows 98 will not seeit. Charlie