Default Major Problem(s)

Ok here is what happens I boot up my computer I then see the memory test and then the check of my prossor and drives etc. It then goes to a black screen for about 3 min or so then fianlly boots into windows xp. Shortly after bootup it locks up. I was able to rescue all the data off the drive so if need be ill start over. Some times i can get into windows and it will let me do some stuff. I have updated and ran norton antivirus and found nothing i updated and ran my spyware program and it found nothing. I tried to use the system restore. That failed everytime. I was going to try to boot the computer and then boot from the Windows disk and try to repair windows or even reformat and reinstall. The problem is that I cant get to my bios screen it just shows black for long periods of time then boots into windows and locks up. I have reset the bios and i was able to see that it was reset because during the post it says cmos reset to default settings hit F1 to contine or del to enter setup. I can not reach any dos type menu like bios, boot from cd option, or even the safe mode menu. Any ideas on what I should do

Have you tried booting into safe mode by tapping f8 during start up? If you can get into safe mode, try running as much the items in this post as you can (you may not be able to do the online scans),
    http://www.help2go.com/article217.html

The online scans are VERY important, so if you have internet access through the computer, please run them. Many viruses disable your onboard virus protection, so a scan from outside your computer is necessary to find them. Do what you can, then post a HIJack This log to this thread (directions in the above article).

The good news is that you have backed up your data. Charlie

Well I cant get to safe mode wont let me view the menu to get there and ive scanned as much as i can with the sofware i have.

How did you get all the data you needed of the HD ?

Cheers

It may be possible to fix the problem from the recovery console, but to be honest, I'm not sure what it is we're trying to fix. You can run chkdsk /r from the recovery console to check disk for bad sectors and recovery unreadable info. (space between the k and /). You can also rewrite your master boot record with fixmbr (more info here: http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/computi.../xprepair5.htm ) Since you have all of your data backed up, a reformat and reinstall may be the easiest solution. Others may have a better solution. Charlie

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

This sounds very much like a hardware problem.
    The first thing to do is check out the HD for problems.
    If you have the original XP Pro CD then the Recovery Console on it can perform the check. If not there are tools available on the net that can be run from a Bootable floppy.
    Try removing any added cards from the system, disconnecting printers, scanners etc and stripping it back to basics. Leave only one CD drive connected if you have more than one.
    If things work then add each component one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
    If all the above fail then it's off to the doctor for the computer and a bar for you
    :wink:
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.