Default 8mm video tape to digital

I have 8mm video tapes from my camcorder. I can capture the video as an A/V file with my computer's TV-tuner card. There are several different codecs out there for conversion and compression. My main concern is preserving quality, not overall compression. Which codec do you recommend and what program (free or pay) makes the job easier and quicker? Charlie

Never had to do what you are specifically doing Grim, but I recently had need to convert an AVI to MPEG and this free program was pretty good & simple. I think some features are free unlimited, but others are on a 30 day trial.

http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

You will need to go out and buy a Video Capture card.
    This card will accept the Video and convert it to a digital format.
    Which card depends on how deep your pockets are.
    If they are deep enough then go for a card that saves the files in MPEG format.
    These days cards like this also have HDTV tuners so HD TV can be viewed and/or recorded direct to a HD. Time shifting can be done so you can watch what has already been recoded while the remainder is recorded.
    Some include FM radio, ability to capture from a Non digital video cam, copy video from a VCR etc.
    You will need a fair size HD. I recommend at least 100 gig. 160 is better.
    Are you counting the $$$$s yet.
    The above is though gives you what you would normally pay 5 times more for and with TV out you can use your computer as one of those more expensive stand alone hard drive DVD recorders.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

At home, I use AVerMedia ultra 300 USB 2.0 Video Capture Device. Here's link to it at tigerdirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...673&CatId=1428

It's pretty good. I use it mainly for recording my tv shows while I'm at work. Sometimes I'll watch one show on my tv and one on my computer. It also has Picture in Picture so really you can watc h3 shows at once. I don't really see a time when I would want to do that, but hey, I can if I want. ;-) Anyway, it's a pretty good product at a reasonable price. ( I did get mine cheaper, when I bought mine, there was a 30 MIR through tigerdirect.) The only problem I have with it is the sound quality isn't that great when I play back what I've recorded. I THINK that might be fixed with a new sound card, but I really don't know. You can record in like 5 different formats including mpeg1, mpeg2 and avi. You can also record just the sound in mp3 or wav formats.

At work, we do A LOT of video digitization. In fact, I have about 13 hours of it due out tomorrow. um here at work, we use (i think) Canopus dvstorm 2, which they don't make anymore. We didn't get it from canopus directly. It cost around $1,000. But it works great. Also, a lot of the price was the software that came with it. But if you want to go that route, I would suggest fining one one ebay. They have lots of canopus stuff and quite a bit cheaper than if you were buying from canopus or one of their distributors.

I'm not sure about the compression part of your question. I'm actually having the same problem with these videos today. I need to fit them on a cd, but they are about 45 MB over. Some of the videos don't have sound, so I'm just recording the video and I think that will make those videos fit on a cd, but I'm not sure about the one's with sound. I think I'm gonna hve to call canopus directly. Anyway, good luck. If you get a fix, let me know.

Whooze, I already have a video capture card that captures the files as very large AVI files (30 minutes=8 or 9 GB). I want to convert the AVI files to a compressed digital format, just confused between MPEG 1, 2,3,or 4, Xvid, DVDX, etc. Which format should I use? Charlie

Use MPEG1, it will play in windows media player. If you get another card or a usb device like i mentioned earlier, you can capture directly in the format you want.

MPEG2 is dvd quality, I think you have to have a dvdplayer to view them. They are still big files.

I would do what Shinobi suggested and download that free converter. I looked at the site and I think it will do what you want pretty easily.

Grim it all depends on what you want to do with them afterwards.

MPEG1 is the type of file you normally get when you download an mpeg, it is a fairly old standard and so you will need a large amount of space to keep the quality.

MPEG2 is as has previously been said the type of compression used on DVD's, if the source is very good the output likewise will be good. How good you're 8mm film is may have an effect on this.

MPEG3 was a discontinued format, as the results could be found from MPEG2, avoid this.

MPEG4 as far as I know is a similar type of file to a compressed AVI still with the avi extension i.e. div x, in that it gives good results for a small size. As such you will almost certinaly be using a codec based on this for your purposes.

If you just want to look at it on your computer, or distribute via CD's to other peoples conputers I would go with the X-VID standard. It gives very good results i.e. a full movie to one CD and watchabvle at high resolution. Its open source, (and legal in the UK) nad should do what you need. If you go to http://www.xvid.org/ there is a fair amount of information in the FAQ and there are also links to doom9 which is very good for guides and should lead you through the process. I've only really done conversion the other way but I'll help with any questions that aren't too technical, for those I think whooze knows best.

Be warned that this process won't be quick, although it shouldn't be as bad as goiong the other way.

Hope this helps

Paul

Thanks for all of the help, I'll look into what programs are available. Charlie