Default Turned pc on without monitor plugged into vid card

I realized what I did so shut off pc and plugged the monitor into the vid card (nvidia 5500). Now even though though the pc does indeed send a picture to the monitor during the POST when it comes time for the XP Welcome screen to appear, the screen goes dark and my monitor gives me a "no signal" message.

Look at this previous post, similar problem with similar solution hopefully.
    http://www.help2go.com/postlite14843-.html

The most important part of the linked posting seems to be booting into safe mode. After the system posts (shows all the boot-time diagnostics - hard drives detected, amount of RAM, etc.), tap the F8 key - this will allow you to boot into safe mode. My guess is that the resolution was somehow set to something other than what your monitor can display. Go through the normal process of changing the display resolution (even though it will notify you that the change will not take effect in safe mode), apply it, then reboot. See if that gets you working. Note, that if Windows doesn't seem to be coming up at all, and you don't get any option to boot into safe mode when you tap the F8 key, you might have a more serious software problem, which may require a repair of Windows, or a non-destructive system restore.