Default Very Strange ADSL Connection Issue...

Hi there,

first post, hope this doesn't bore ya.

I've checked other posts on here and haven't found one with quite the same issues.

here's the prob.

My Pc, running XP with SP2 and IE 6.0 cannot ocnnect to the internet.

We have an ADSL modem, a router and various connections to it, my laptop and everyone elses works on this system, but the PC does not.

IE cannot find a server, Mozilla/firefox can't either.

here's the strange bit...
    -i did a Run-CMD Ping test of google.com and it returned a perfectly normal response.
    -spybot S&D CAN connect to it's servers to update it's Virus Definitions!

this is weird...

I have run ewido, spybot, adaware SE, CCcleaner and checked a hijackThis log... all is clear.

My ISP has been of no other use... and seeing as my latop and others can connect, it clearly isn't their issue or a modem issue.

The only thing I can think of is that it might be the fact that the modem WAS connected to the PC using USB and is now running on the networkcard... but anyway... it is weird.

any help is much appreciated!

thanks
    Kit

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Am assuming you are on a network.
    Is the PC the main computer and how is it connected to the net.
    I think this is a network problem and it is a common fault that the main system is not actually part of the network.
    I hope the penny is dropping here.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

well, considering that (whether the PC is on or connected to the modem at all) all our laptops can succesfully connect, they all run either Xp home or Pro... makes me believe that the issue is something else....

and the fact that some programs (like soulseek and emule.. now uninstalled..) were working , connecting and downloading whilst IE and Outlook and Firefox couldn't get any joy at all, also raises questions.

the PC used to be the MAIN computer... but it has worked since the router has been up and running, and only recently has stopped working whilst no hardware or software changes have taken place...

There seems to be no network settings to change, and i can't even get the PC to talk to the modem by going direct to it's IP address.

how do I check it's network status (main computer conflicts or otherwise..) and add it to the network if it requires?

I presumed that seeing as all the laptops can connect without ANY configuring whatsoever (as long as the LAN settings are all blank.... as they are on the PC) that the PC could be connected (via it's network card) to the bridge the same way...

a bit repetetive i know.. but i can't even SEE the penny from here.

=D

cheers

Member Help2Go Moderator

Have you checked your routers firewall to see if the IP address you currently have is being blocked access for some odd reason? Or maybe port 80 being blocked on the PC firewall (if it has one) or the router firewall (in most cases will have one)? Also, you said something about being on a bridged network. Are the laptops and this PC trying to connect from the same bridged network. I guess in easier terms is the connection that the PC is connected to also connecting your laptops to the internet or is that on a seperate piece of hardware like a router or lan?

Partieā„¢

ok... the 80 port isn't blocked as far as I can tell... (i reset the bios to default settings which should've cleaered that)... and I cannot access the modems config. utility at all... how would i check if the IP on it's firewall has the PC blocked?

I have used the wrong word earlier.. it is not a birdge but a switch that everything is connected to...

I don't know if that makes a huge difference...

it has so far failed my minor knowledge, a windows re-install (re-installed over the top not a format).... and someone with a lot more knowledge than me.

It may be worth a visit to a shop soon... i am running out of options.. hehe :P

..but thanks for the suggestions so far!!

After a quick read of this thread...

and the fact that some programs (like soulseek and emule.. now uninstalled..) were working , connecting and downloading whilst IE and Outlook and Firefox couldn't get any joy at all, also raises questions.
    Forgive me if this is rather a basic suggestion... Party mentioned the firewall ... is it cofigured to allow access to the net for IE, Outlook, firefox ?

soulseek, emule and spybot etc may have access, but the others may not...

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -