Default Why are some topics locked?

The FAQ explains what a locked topic is, but it doesn't explain why some topics are locked. E.g. why is Can't login to my hotmail account locked?

Sebastian :?

PS: Are included URLs really only distinguished by a smaller font, or is that just the preview?

We lock HJT log/Spyware problems after their problem has been taken care of or they, the poster, has not replied in about 2 weeks to post.

We also will lock posts, such as this one, if it basically a duplicate of their earlier post. This poster had posted the same basic question 4 days earlier. They were advised to do some thing and they never answered back.

Many of our members are one dial up so we do this, keeping everything in one topic, so the members can help faster. They do not have to keep opening many posts/pages.

Hope this answered your question, if not let us know. The spyware forum does do things a little different than the other forums here at Help2Go. We have had many people post their questions to some else's log and you just can not do that with HJT logs. Logs can take a lot of time to work on and NO two HJT logs/problems are the same.

Cheers

Default Re: Why are some topics locked?

Thanks for your reply which answers my question.

It did raise two new, related questions:

I got a bit confused at first because you wrote about the spyware forum. Did I post this in the wrong space? My question was very general. The mail I asked about ("Can't login to my hotmail account") wasn't a spyware problem, was it? (If so, how can I see this from the list?)

Since locking is frustrating new users who want to help: Are there any other possibilities, such as adding a link or redirect to the previous post, or simply deleting duplicate posts?

Thanks,
    Sebastian

Are/were you "hammoud" ? The reason this post was locked was because there were 3 post, in a very short period of time with the same basic question.

When I read your 1st post here, I did not see that you provided a link, if I had I would have responded differently. People can not easily see that you provided a link unless the run their cursor over it. But, yes I could just as easily deleted the duplicate post. We need people to stay with one topic/one thread for one question. I should have commented as to why I locked it.

"Spyware" is just a generic term that we use here. It means virus/trojan/worms/foistware/malware/etc. Does not mean just "Spyware". We have kicked around about maybe changing the name of the spyware forum to something else, but we never came up with a good short name, better than Spyware help.

If a poster post a question in the wrong forum, a Moderator will move it the appropriate forum, no big deal, we do it all the time.

If the original post was yours, you did not answer what "whoozhe" ask you. But many sign in problems, especially with G mail are problems that can be taken care of in Spyware forum by posting a HJT log. Sign inproblems many times are because of a PC running a bunch of junk on it (trojans/spyware/etc)-needs a good cleaning.

Hope this answers your question.

Cheers

Default hammoud

No, I'm not, and never was hammoud, and I have never seen the original post. I'm just someone who just found this forum and who wanted to try my hand at giving a bit of advice. When I couldn't, I felt a bit misled, which is why I proposed to delete or redirect such duplicate posts.

Yes, it's a pity links are so hard to discern. Is this something I can change?

Sebastian

Sebastian:

Some people use the word "Link", me I am not a good typist so I just cut and paste the link, from the address bar.

I did tell the poster why I did it, in this post:

http://www.help2go.com/postp69331.html&highlight=#69331

As far as deleting post, we generally do not unless the poster posted several of the same post back to back. We will delete posts without comment when needed, if poster comments violate our standards, such as language, flaming, etc.

Cheers