Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how do i know which power supply to buy?

So the fan doesn't work and having it fixed seems like a waste. so how do i know which one to get? a friend said i might need an atx one but how do i know for certain? thanks for your aid

Make and model of the PC ?

BG

Acer power series se

APSE-1202

I don't have the specific answer for you, but almost all computers use ATX power supplies now. The dimensions vary though, so unless you want to do a little work with a hack saw and vice grips (I have done it), make sure you get one that will fit into the space the old one occupied. I would suggest removing the old one first and taking it with you when you buy the new one. It should say on the old one what the wattage was. Get at least that much wattage, if you have added some new drives to the computer, get some extra wattage. To remove the old power supply, first unplug the computer. There will be at one large connection to the motherboard, and maybe one small plug. The will also be plugs into the back of all hard drives, Cd drives, DVD drives and floppy drives. There may be connections to some fans. There are probably several screws holding the power supply to the case. Remove the screws and the power plugs and you should have it (you may need to remove some cable ties). If you can find a dual fan power supply, get it, it will provide better air flow in your case. If not, a single fan will do. Now for price, I don't think you need to pay for a premium gaming power supply that can cost close to $100, but you probably don't want to trust your computer to a $10 power supply either. See what the choices are. Charlie

well the thing is that the computer is 6 years old. no use in getting something really fancy. i went to tigerdirect.com and their cheapest atx one is 15 dollars. think even 15 dollar ones shouldn't be trusted?

If you are just trying to get another year or 2 out of the computer, go ahead and go cheap. If you are planning on keeping it going for a longer period of time, I'd spend a few more bucks. Charlie

ok thanks but one last thing. as you know mine has a switch at the back to switch to more watts. how do i know that the regular 115 watts wouldn't be enough?

The switch on the back is for voltage, not watts. If you are in the USA leave it set 115.

Cheers

ok thanks because i thought it was watts :P should i even save the screws for the old power supply? i popped it out so i can have it ready when i go hunting for one with its dimensions. it sucks how the online computer places like tigerdirect dont have the listed dimensions for their power supplies.

I think you will find most ATX power supplies are going to be the same basic size.

Sure save the screws, you can always throw them away if you don't need them.

Cheers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast