Default AMD 1600+ freezes after a few minutes

My Athlon AMD 1600+ freezes after a few minutes - the motherboard is mainboard - Since I installed XP I have had this problem - A warning is given on screen that I have a problem with the registry - I have scanned it with registry mechanic 4 and everything was ok.

Please help

simon

simongr@onvol.net

How much RAM do you have in the machine?
    Did you do a clean install of XP, or an upgrade?
    A little more information such as the above, may help
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)

Yes I have done a clean installation - but I have the same problem - it freezes after 5 minutes. the mainboard is K7VTA3 and I have Geforce - ram is 2 x 128 i.e. 256

XP runs better with 512, but 256 should be enough to prevent lockups. I would look more into the overheating possibility since it is always about the same amount of time. Check to see that all fans are turning properly and that there is not a build up of dust inside the computer case, especially around the CPU fan. You can blow the dust out with a can of compressed air, available at computer and electronics stores. Charlie

Ya, I agree with Charlie, sounds like heat!
    A good horse, strong woman and my .30-.30 rifle. Not much more a man needs. (well, except a computer that is!!)

Check your bois and make sure your not overclocking the CPU. I've had a problem like yours and that was the problem for me. I had to go into the bois and change it down to default