Default Real Arcade game news error message

Good day! I recently did a clean install of windows 2000 Pro, upon reinstalling Real Arcade I get "Real Arcade Game News Error".
    The body reads:
    "RealArcade was unable to install Game News because a digital signature could not be verified. This is possibly caused by a issue with cipher strength in Microsoft Internet Explorer. Please refer to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article Q261328 for more information at http:// support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?id=Q261328"
    This article is about cipher strength and SSL problems with OS other than my own. My cipher strength is 128 which is correct. I am also logged on as administrator.
    I consulted with Real Arcade, but all they could suggest was creating a new account with admin. rights, which I did naming the new account Real Arcade. No help.
    I have used Real Arcade in the past with no problems.
    It is my understanding a wrong time setting could cause the problem so I checked and my clock is correct.
    It is with great respect that I ask your assistance. Littlemike

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Normally this happens when something has been altered, in your case the reformating has altered something that Real can no longer verify.
    I am assuming you are a gold pass user or have paid real for games.
    You may ned to remove everthing real and reinstall it, even then it may not work.
    You may need to create a new account with real.
    Unfortunately Real are not the easiest people to deal with so you may need to insist that they transfer your details to any new account your create.
    Meanwhile consider joining www.pogo.com. Same games, easier to deal with.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

Thanks Whoozhe, I am a member of Pogo. I was installing Real for the wife, didn't realize they were the same games. Real has been working with me, elevated me to tier 2. We've tried several possible solutions to no avail. I also found a guy in the UK with the same problem only without the reformat. Real finally conceded day before yesterday the problem may be in their server, said they were working hard on it, have not heard back from them to this point. Me, I'm going to stick to Pogo, but I will continue to pursue this with Real and post the results here in case anyone else should run into this problem. LittleMike

This error may be caused by a corrupt certificate, or root certificate in the registry. Some times, the corruption is in the user profile, in which creating a new admin profile will allow you to install the software while logged in that new profile. However, if the corruption is in the default profile, this error will occur under all profiles you create, in which case reinstalling Windows will fix the issue as it will replace the corrupt certificate.

You mentioned you recently reinstalled Windows, was it an overinstall? (over install or repair usually doesn't fix corrupt registries) or was it a re-format and install?

Also, are there any other issues with IE or other programs?

Hi Dasendog, welcome aboard! Yes it was a clean install, not just a overinstall or repair. I have checked my registry back-ups but did not find anything there. Is there any way to check for corrupt certificates? Finally, except for a couple of minor problems with Proxomitron( I had to bypass to get to one site and to send e-mail via MSN) I have no problems with IE. I use Maxthon Browser, which is a tabbed interface used in conjunction with IE, but have been using it since it was in beta with no problems. Thanks for your suggestion, any other ideas will be appreciated.
    By the way I have recieved another suggestion from Real, in which they had me remove a .dll file then reinstall from two different locations but that did not solve the problem either. LittleMike

It was indeed a corrupt root certificate. I was able to restore it by doing a repair from the 2000 PRO cd. Thanks to those who offered suggestions.Littlemike