Default Mouse and Keyboard Disabled

Due to some bad advice, to make a long story endless...both my mouse and keyboard are disabled in XP Media Edition. Is there any way to enable them without using the Recovery CD and wiping out all of my data?
    I have Restored to a previous date, gone back to the last configuration that worked, tried different mouse and keyboard...nothing helps. The keyboard works in BIOS, and the mouse works when I put in the Recovery CD. I can get into Safe Mode, but when the screen comes on that says click on Administrator, I can do nothing because I don't have a mouse or keyboard. If Windows XP loads, the screen is white and says Refresh Desktop, and I can not because I don't have a mouse. I have a new computer that I need to put my data on and do not want to wipe out the old one until I can get the data. Is there any thing to do besides taking the C: Drive out of the old computer and transfering the data? I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!!!!

In my opinion, moving the drive to the new computer would be the easiest way. But as far as correcting the keyboard problem, it would help to know what the "bad' advice was so that we can try to get around it. If you are using a standard mouse and keyboard connection, you could try using USB connections instead, perhaps you could borrow a usb keyboard and mouse from a friend. Charlie

Default Disabled mouse and Keyboard

I was told to go into Device Manage and Disable Modems, Network Adapters, Ports (Com and Lpt), Sound,video,etc, and USB. I didn't disable USB, but did Disable all of the others. They said to test each one to see if there was a problem. I have a feeling that I disabled the mouse and keyboard Ports, and now they are still disabled. I have tried a USB mouse, but it isn't recognized. But haven't tried a USB keyboard. Thanks for your reply. I'm new as this Forum thing, so I hope I'm responding in the right place! Peggy

You may need to make a change to your computer's BIOS to get the USB mouse/keyboard working. Charlie