Default Best registry cleaner?

I am in search of the best registry cleaner. I am willing to pay for the product, although I see many freebies offered and recommended. Where the software will be messing with the registry, I want to make sure it is a reliable program. Can you tell me the best program? (HelptoGo recommends "CCCleaner" and "EasyCleaner"). I see "Registry Mechanic" recommended quite often as well.

I have "One Button Checkup" with my Norton Systemworks, but I eventually want to remove Norton from my computers. Another reason I need to know the best registry cleaner!
    Windows XP Pro/Pent 4/3.2 ghz/1 gig RAM

Hello MarieBoyer.
    Give the two programs you mention a try. Both allow you to save changes and restore if you have any problems. With CCleaner leave all the settings as default. With Easy Cleaner do not bother with duplicates (very tricky to use). You can download from these links.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    Download the version with installer (2.72MB) in the third main block down the page. Screenshot below.

If you are not happy with either simply restore removed entries and then uninstall the programs. I use both and have no problems at all.
    Regards guy9663.

Default downloaded cccleaner!

I downloaded cccleaner and it looks great. It got rid of tons of junk still left over from uninstalls of software programs. However, I still see folders in the registry itself (I just look in the registry, never touch) with the program names. 2 questions:

1. Do I assume cccleaner cannot remove those folders from the registry, and do I need to figure out how to remove those manually?

2. I deleted all cookies. I cannot login to forums like this now because my password and username were stored to enable automatic logon. Is there a way NOT to delete the cookies just for web sites (forums) where I use this auto-logon feature? (If not, I can live with that.)

Thanks for all help!!!!

I am sure everybody has entries in their registry that are not used anymore. They generally will not cause probems.

As far as password/sign in names. They will be remembered again the next time you log in, until you delete all the cookies again.

On Norton, when you want to remove it, visit the Norton for the their uninstaller for the version of Norton you want to remove.

Cheers

I have used the Registry Repair from GlarySoft. It seems to do a good job and you can download a fully functional 30 day trial from www.glarysoft.com
    It removed alot of things Ccleaner left behind, although what was left behind didn't cause any trouble. After 30 days, you will need to pay for activation, I think it is $30. Would be interested in any input from anyone else about this program. Charlie

When you enter passwords etc on such places as this forum your browser (be it IE or Firefox) should ask if you wish it to remember the information for next time. Click yes. Even when you clear cookies the web browser will still remember the info.
    I have literally dozens of saved passwords and often clear cookies using CCleaner.
    Regards guy9663.

EDIT. You can leave cookies when you run CCleaner. Just uncheck the box for cookies before you start cleaning. You have the choice of IE, an alternative browser (in my case Firefox) or both.
    The screenshots below show what I mean. Guy.

Now I'm home from work I finally get to finish this properly.
    Yes you can choose which cookies to delete.
    Use your computer as normal without running CCleaner. Enter your passwords as required and when you have finished just close your computer down. After a few days open CCleaner but DO NOT RUN. Click on options and then cookies. Select the ones you want to save and move them to the "Cookies to keep" box. Then run CCleaner.
    But do bear in mind what I said about your browser saving passwords in my previous post.
    Regards guy9663.

Default Awesome!

Thanks so much!