Default Computer freezes up at Windows XP startup screen Please HELP

My computer freezes at the windows xp logo screen and i have to hold the power button in to restart it ,I thought that windows might have messed up drivers because i installed the 32mb geforce 2 video card three days before i went on vacation to see family up north so i turned off my surge protector just in case of lightning storms it stayed turned off for 8days then when igot home i turned it back on and it freezes like this but i don't see how the video card could have anything to do with because i used my computer up until time to go and it worked fine i even tried to install windows on a different hard drive but when it came to the setup screen it froze up saying something like setup is installing windows.and I can repair the existing windows because it freezes up to. Any Help would be appreciated.

Try starting in safe mode by tapping the f8 key during start up. You will get to an option to hit YES for safe mode or NO for system resore. Go into system restore and pick a date in BOLD print that was before you went on vacation, but after you put in the video card. If it won't boot to safe mode to allow this, let us know. Charlie

Default It stalls in safe mode too

It freezes loading safe mode too, it loaded one time today in normal mode which was the first time since i came back i ran my virus scan and spyware scan and checked files for errors they all came up clean then i ran msconfig and removed uneeded startup items then i decided to run a full error check but i had restart to do that and it freezes again. I'm all out of thought what can i do next.

Anthony

Sounds like you need to do a repair install, please see link below for more information.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Default repair install failed

I tried a repair install and it didn't work it says hit any key to boot from cd so i did and when it starts loading drivers it gets to the screen that says windows setup at the top and it says setup is starting windows at the bottom then it freezes.

Member Help2Go Moderator

not sure if you're savvy with command line or the recovery console but you could give this a shot..

You can run a "system restore" from the Recovery Console (which is nothing but command line).

View this post for instructions on how to do it

http://www.help2go.com/postp45686.html#45686

Partieā„¢