Default stmgr.exe running @ 98% CPU

I have checked this with Procep which identifies running tasks including dlls. Stmgr.exe, (windows system restore task? identified as PC state manager) runs at about 98% CPU usage most of the time, with occasional drops to 40% or so. When my scheduled ntivirus (Trend Micro) scan starts, performance degrades to where the mouse will hardly move and the clock wont even run.
    On reboot, clock shows correct time, so it seems to be affecting the display mostly.
    I turned off system restore because there were no restore points accessible anyway (i.e, it isn't working).
    At the moment, I'm running 3 Internet Explorer windows and Procep, Memokit, and the trendMicro firewall. Sttmgr.exe is using between 87 and 91% CPU, 1708k ram and 7504 virtual memory. Total CPU use is 98%, but nothing is hitting the hard drive. Memokit shows 45% available resources and 123mb free memory. And at the moment, there is no problem with performance--well, display changes are slow.
    Yesterday it was unusable--I was running Quicken 2004, which seems to run a process that constantly hits the hard drive. I suspect Quicken of hoarding resources, but they've also got my life in their hands.
    In fact, when I close a window, CPU use falls back to reasonable range during the close activity and then shoots back up when activity is done.
    Any info or reflections on this issue will be appreciated. Thanks so much for all you do!

Hallo jusquemoi - This might be as good a place to start as any. Go here -
    http://www.help2go.com/article217.html
    and run through the various processes and post a HiJack Log in this thread for one of the experts to check over. Regards.
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome

Before I could do anything, I had to reboot--things got just too slow and sticky to keep going. On restart, the situation cleared, and CPU is now normal--with System Idle Process using the 98% I am used to and stmgr.exe at 0.23% CPU. I'll post again if I find it reoccuring.
    I am still curious what this process (stmgr) does.
    Thanks.

No sooner said than......
    STMGR.EXE is a process belonging to Microsoft's PCHealth utility which is bundled on Microsoft 9x and ME operating systems. This program is non-essential process to the running of the system, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems......done!!. Regards
    I know everything about nothing, nothing about everything and precious little about the bit in between.
    P4-3.0G - Seagate Barracuda 160 - Maxtor 120 - Antec Hard Drive Cooler - 1GRam - Radeon9800Pro - Sony Multi DriveDVDRW - Audigy2 6.1 - XPHome