Default Bios beeps 1 2 1 1 and then nothing

For sometime now I have been unable to boot up without these beeps. As soon as I try to boot up these beeps sound and the system stops. After pressing the reset button several times it may let me boot into setup then if I,m lucky after pressing reset it boots into XP.

I have looked up the 1 2 1 1 meaning and it says Initialise Power Management. Can anyone point me in the right direction the Valium bottle is nearly empty.

Thanks in advance
    Dave

Check Control Panel > Power Options, choose a scheme to suit, for example I use Home/Office Desk with Turn off Monitor after 20 mins, Turn off Hard Disks : Never, System Standby : Never.
    You should also check your BIOS setting for Power Management. I have this option disabled but if you want to use it click here for a short guide.

Default Bios Bleep 1 2 1 1

Thanks for help Rad. I have reconfigured the Power Options section as you suggested but to no avail. Also Disabled power management in Setup. Still taking ten minuets of reset button pushing to get the B----y
    thing going.
    The only thing that may mean something to you is the UPS service is currently switched off.What ever that means!!!

I am also suffering problems with my ACER CD Writer. Having uninstalled
    nero burning software and easy cd burning software because both showed a power callibration error. Have managed to install part of Nero 6se to enable me to back up some necessary files before wiping the lot and reinstalling xp. Do you thing this will cure it or Have I got a hardware problem.
    Thanks again for your kind interest and help.

This sounds like you have a problem with your power supply. UPS stands for Uninteruptible Power Supply, a device that you plug your computer into that continues to supply power to your computer should your mains power fail. If you do have one of these you could try bi-passing it, plug your computer directly into the mains supply and see how you get on.
    The Power Calibration Error you are getting with your CD writer could also be caused by the UPS device, although other possible causes for this are faulty / poor quality media, dirty lens, dust inside the unit.
    Before looking at these possiblities though I'd try not using a UPS device first, if it solves all your problems then you'll know the cause and you can either get a new UPS or do without one.

Member Help2Go Moderator

lookalot,
    what kind of BIOS do you have? It should tell you when the computer is booting up. It's usually Award, AMI, or PHOENIX.

Once you have figured it out then you can do a search for BIOS beep codes depending on which you have and when found you can tell a little more about what's going on.

Also, if you don't find an exact match of beeps to the original BIOS manufacturers, you may want to talk a look at the support site or call your computer manufacturers tech support since a lot of computer manufacturers like Dell and Gateway and HP sometimes modify/edit the BIOS chip and change the beep codes.

Here's a site with lots of info:
    http://bioscentral.com/

It has POST codes (on the left navigation menu) and BIOS Beep Codes (on the right navigation menu)

Another question regarding this;
    Quote Originally Posted by lookalot
    I have looked up the 1 2 1 1 meaning and it says Initialise Power Management.
    Have you tried disabling any kind of power management inside the BIOS settings? Like APM or APCI ? Look in your BIOS for power options and disable everything if you're allowed to then retry. If it starts working then you may want to think about upgrading (flashing) your BIOS.

Quote Originally Posted by lookalot
    Do you thing this will cure it or Have I got a hardware problem.
    This has to be a hardware problem since you are getting BIOS beeps or maybe even POST error codes when you boot. It can't bee a Windows problem or a software problem (unless of course we're talking about software in the BIOS section) because Windows isn't loaded or even beginning to load when you get those errors/codes/beeps whatever.

Best lof Luck!

Partieā„¢