Default New laptop on network conn. problem

We have a server called scf_server. All the workstations that are wired to the server are set up as a workgroup "scf". My laptop has XP professional and I added the workgroup name, but when I browse "SCF" in order to map a drive it does not find anything. Am I doing something wrong?

HELP

Funny. I just set up a new computer yesterday. I didn't browse to find the drive, I typed it in. It looked like this:

\\name of server\name of hard drive on server

so,

\\scf_server\whatever the name is of the drive you're connecting to.

Did you set up a login/password for the new computer on the server? YOu have to do that first or the computer can't connect.

I might be wrong. I don't know much about stting up networks. Yesterday was the first time I had set up a computer on a network.

Member Help2Go Moderator

Sounds like you need to contact your works network administrator. The username/password on the XP Pro machine has to be on the server to for you to be able to view shared files and folders from the server. Not sure if you brought this laptop from home or if it's from work but just ask your network admins or in house techs to solve the problem for you, unless of course you have access as an admin to the server then you can reply to this thread and someone will help you further.

Partie™

The user of the laptop already has an account on the server and the laptop is setup as the same. I login to the workstation but when I browse the network I can't.

Member Help2Go Moderator

What version of Windows is the server running?

Also, did you try leah's suggestion. The UNC (or path) to the shared file goes like this..

\\ServerName\ShareName\files_in_shared_folder.txt <-- that's to get a specific file to open from the shared folder on the server.

\\ServerName\ShareName <--that's to browse to open the shared folder in windows explorer

You can actually right click "my computer" and select "Map Network Drive" and then type the send example in, of course changing ServerName to the name of your server and ShareName to the shared name of the folder on the server.

Now some more questions.
    Do you have admin priveledges on this server?
    Do you get errors trying to browse to the shared files on the server via windows explorer? Or, does the server or shares not show up at all in the "Work Group" window when browsing?
    Have you tried to ping the server from the laptop? If yes, do you get a response? Any errors?
    Is the server a DHCP server or are you hooked up via a router or switch or some other piece of hardware that would give the laptop and other computers connected to it an IP address?
    If you do have a router can the laptop ping the router? any errors? any responses?
    When you setup the laptop to join the workgroup did it get the "Welcome to the BLAH workgroup" popup?
    If there is no DHCP running, did you assing the laptop the correct IP address and subnet mask corresponding to your local network?

Networking issues are really hard sometimes to figure out via a post like this especially when the person trying to help doesn't know how your network is setup or what the server is running and what kind of hardware it might be connected to. So, if you'd like to keep going back and forth like this I don't mind but I bet you'd get it done faster if you called your helpdesk (if you have one) or talk to your network admin.

Partie™