Default computer restored need help

Here the quick run down i took my computer to best buy b/c the keyboard burnt out. I ask the guy if i needed to backup my files and he said no they'll probably just replace the keyboard. i get it back a month later and they restored it when all they had to do was replace the keyboard. is there any way i can get my old files back.

Member Help2Go Moderator

so, by "restoring" it do you mean they did a System Restore in Windows XP or did they wipe the hard drive and install everything for you again? If they wipped the hard drive there is a chance you can get your stuff back that will cost a pretty penny. Not sure how Best Buy runs their operation or for that matter I know that Geek Squad (Best Buy's new tech staff) isn't that great at all. They are over priced and in most cases don't know what they are talking about. I do know that for the most part when a tech shop wipes your hard drive they do a backup before doing the wipe. In some states it's illegal for them to do something like that without a backup or asking your permission since it's like stealing your property. Might want to call Best Buy or Geek Squad and see if they made a backup of your system before deleting everything. If not, I would raise some serious hell and depending on how important those files are, I'd find a lawyer Sorry, I have issues with the Geek Squad, and no, I'm not a disgruntled ex-employee, although it may sound like it lol

Partieā„¢

Hello johnle, welcome to H2G.
    See the link below. Canuck found the program and it's great. You lose nothing by running it, your computer will not be changed (apart from finding lost files) and it's freeware.
    Regards guy9663.

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/UK/welcome.htm