Default toolbar item's tiny popup labels hidden by toolbar

After startup the little labels on my toolbar shortcuts work fine, but after a while, the popups are not fully exposed, as if the toolbar got too tall, but it didn't. Unlocking the toolbar or moving it up or down with the double arrow didn't matter. Any ideas???

Hi

Not sure which toolbar, or part of toolbar you are referring to... ?

Can you post us a picture ?

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -

The strip of icons/window names to the right of the start button at the bottom of the screen. When you pause the mouse over an icon or window name, a small yellow popup label shows with the name of the thing. Sometimes for me the label is only partially visible. I hope that explains it well enough, it's working at the moment and a screen shot would show it correctly working!!!

HI

To the right of the start button are the quickstart icons then the taskbar (webpages etc,) then the systray (active programs)

Is it all of these ?

Does the popup telling you what it is, appear above (partially hidden by the webpage) or below (off the bottom of the screen) ?

Next time it happens...(make sure the taskbar is NOT locked) then choose an empty part of the taskbar and put your cursor on it, hold down the left button and move the cursor to the center left hand side of your screen ... the taskbar will move with it... you should now be able to see all the popups labels... move it back and see if this solves the problem.

Not a permanent solution, but it's all I have at the moment

cheers

steam

Hi Steam. Well, it's baaack. It happens to all the icons along the bottom...systray, toolbar and quick start. If I move the bar to the side as you directed, the label are easily seen. I'm not used to it there but it isn't bad. maybe I can try to adapt. But if I move it back to the original bottom position, the labels are still hidden. The labels are about 75% hidden by the bar itself, not by the web page. The bar is in front of the label instead of behind it. I tried to take a screen shot here but I don't know how. I tried to attach it as a word doc. If you see it you can see the hidden label in the bottom right.

HI mitchella

I'm sorry to have to tell you that this is a bug in windows, for which there is no known solution ....

It's caused by a conflict between windows that want to be the topmost window (in other words, appear in front of everything else.) Tooltips always want to be topmost, but if you have the Taskbar property "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows" selected, then so does the taskbar. Sometimes the messages that make the windows topmost arrive in the wrong order, so the taskbar sticks in front of the tooltips.

There are however some workarounds...

1. Avoid using the Show Desktop shortcut (Windows+D) as this often causes the problem to occur. Use Minimize All Windows (Windows+M) instead.

2. Don't use "Keep the taskbar on top of other windows". Right-click the taskbar, select properties, clear the check box for this option and then click OK.

3. If you prefer to keep the taskbar on top of other windows, then deselecting this option as described above, and then reselecting it again, restores the correct window order and brings the tooltips back to the front, until the next time!

steam