Default Start submenus are slow

I have placed several extra folders under the Start menu folder

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\

So, when I click Start button, these folders show up on the Start menu.

When I hover over one of these folders, it contents open up as a submenu.

The problem is that these submenus open very SLOOOOOWLY.
    The blank menu apperars right away. But it takes several seconds
    before the folder contents items appear in the menu.

It only happens on this Win XP box. There are three other Win XP desktops and one laptop here that DON'T have this problem.

What gives?

Member Help2Go Moderator

hmm, I'm kind of curious why it show's the documents and settings folder l ike so C:\Documents and Settings\All Users.WINDOWS\Start Menu\

with the "All Users.WINDOWS\" as a folder name. That usually means you installed over the top of another windows installation. Might want to check to see if that's the case and maybe reformat. Although it helps to do a parrallell intsall it could also do some weird things. Other than that, you could give this little tweak a shot if you're comfortable with editing the registry. If you're not comfortable with editing the registry you can download the TweakUI program they speak of on this same page. It's free..

http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article06-025

Partie™

Thanks for the info.

Yes, this was a re-install of Windows about a year ago. Seems that the install didn't want to use the existing "All Users" folder, so it created "All Users.WINDOWS" under Documents and Settings.

And, it didn't want to touch my existing account name under Documents and Settings, either. So it created one called myname.WINDOWS. I deleted that account and recreated it, to get rid of the .WINDOWS part. But there didn't seem to be a way to fix the All Users.WINDOWS mess.

In the meantime (before I saw your reply), I tried something else. I moved ALL of the menu folders that were under "All Users.WINDOWS" over to my account folder. And now the slowness is gone!

That's not the ideal fix ... those folders were placed under All Users so that other people in the house would see the same menus from their account. Now they won't see any menus ... they've all been moved.

I'm gonna look at the link you sent to see if there's a better fix.

Thanks again.

Member Help2Go Moderator

There is something you could do to kind of "fix" it for a second. You can create a batch file inside of your C:\docs&settings\username\start menu\ and then everytime you install a new program copy it's new shortcut from your start menu settings to their profile (you know, the C:\docs&settings\otherUSERNAME\start menu\..

It would go something like this...

Code:
    @echo off
    cls
    REM Below line will not prompt for overwriting of new files.
    REM All files will be overwritten
    SET COPYCMD = /Y
    COPY *.* "C:\documents and settings\username1\start menu\*.*"
    COPY *.* "C:\documents and settings\username2\start menu\*.*"
    COPY *.* "C:\documents and settings\username3\start menu\*.*"
    exit
    You can copy and paste that into notepad and save it as something like "moveshortcuts.bat" (USE QUOTES IN FILE NAME WHEN SAVING) and don't forget to save it into your C:\documents and settings\yourUSERNAME\start menu\moveshortcuts.bat. For each line beginning with "COPY *.*...." you can create an infinite number of lines. Each line represents a new user profile you want to copy to (note that each line has a different "username" string like "username1" "username2" etc.etc.). This is kind of a quick and dirty way of doing it but it will get the job done without you having to reformat.

Best of luck and let us know of the outcome.

Partie™