Default Large static on line from stereo receiver to computer.

I've connected the computer from where the speakers were to the DAT line in on the stereo receiver. I can hear that it's working but it's so distorted with static I can't hear a thing clearly.

I've tried a mess of things but nothing works...help??????

Have zero clue what a "DAT line" is. Use your line out, not speakers out. The speaker circuit may be over driving the stereo.

Cheers :ยบ)

Member Help2Go Moderator whoozhe's Avatar

Well you have a few things wrong here.
    The speaker output a sound card is amplified and will clash with the Stereo. Dat cable is not the right cable to use.
    To pump music from your computer to a stereo system you need to use Line Out at the sound card and line in on the stereo.
    Proper shielded stereo COAX is the best cable.
    Most audio stores should sell Mini Jack to RCA leads. (That is if your stereo uses RCA inputs)
    You also say Stereo Reciever. Not sure what you mean. If you mean a stereo system then do the above. If you are talking about a Digital Reciever then you will need to set up your soundcard and CD player to play and emitt digital sound. With a CD drive this means connecting a seperate cable from the drive to the mainboard.
    Take control of your life. Leave others to control their own.

DAT in this context would be Digital Audio Tape.
    The audio on the tape would have been already modified ie have had certain frequencies boosted/cut to protect the signal/noise quality. The DAT input in your equipment would reverse this boost/cut, a process called equalisation. The end result would be normal audio.
    But iif you feed your [normal] computer audio into the DAT line, the equalisation would be correcting a signal which had not been modified in the first place. This results in distortion.
    So the computer audio needs to go to the Line IN, which will not make any changes to the signal.
    The signal at the computer speakers is at too high a level for the Line IN, [or even the DAT IN] and that gives more distortion. The 'Static' you heard is typical.
    The signal at the Line OUT of the soundcard is at the correct level, and should be used.

Whoozhe is absolutely correct. Just thought I'd add a bit more detail.
    Not to rust unburnished, but to shine in use - Tennyson