Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default RAID 0, 1 ,2 etc

I was just wondering if anyone has any experiece with setting up RAID Storage. We are looking into buying server storage for work and you can set up the drives in different types of RAID. But I really don't understand the differences. Anyone have any suggestions?

We're looking to buy a Dell PowerVault 450n, I think it's called. We just don't really understand this:

You can have up to 4 250 GB discs, but do you actually have all that memory or jsut 250MB?

thanks,
    Leah

We're looking to buy a Dell PowerVault 450n, I think it's called. We just don't really understand this:
    Before you do anything else find out what you are going to have to deal with. Raid is easy to set up, but once set you cannot go back. Be careful what you do.
    Regards guy9663.

Pretty good explanation of Raid at the link below. HTH

http://www.pcsupportadvisor.com/nasample/T0914.pdf
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy9663
    Before you do anything else find out what you are going to have to deal with. Raid is easy to set up, but once set you cannot go back. Be careful what you do.
    Regards guy9663.
    Well, we do a lot of scanning. We do work for lawfirms and instead of copying everything, we scan it and print it out. Much faster! And our 160GB hard drive on our server has filled up like 3 times in the last 2 weeks. We just need more storage.

What I don't understand about what I read about RAID earlier before I left work was the difference between striping and mirroring.

Check the link I provided above Leah
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

So what are doing with this HD, are you deleting all this data when it full ?

Cheers :º)

I was gonna look at it. I was just in the middle of something at the moment. I'll definitely look at it before work tomorrow. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Basementgeek
    So what are doing with this HD, are you deleting all this data when it full ?

Cheers :º)
    We keep it for at least 60 days, i think it is, and then delete it. Unless the lawyer asks us to keep it longer. Like the stuff that we did 2 weeks ago, they want us to keep it like 90 days. Those file were pdf's. The majority of them in the hundreds of thousands of pages range. And they were ocr's too, so even bigger.

Also, we do alot of reproducing maps and oil well logs and stuff and all those are in color. We scan them and then print them out. So, those are HUGE files too.

Member Help2Go Moderator

I just have a few questions..

1.) Are you buying the server because of the RAID capabilities or are you buying it because your office needs more hdd space?

2.) If you are buying just to have HDD space then you're wasting your money. Why not just buy an externel enclosure kit and another IDE Drive and WHAM you have yourself a portable USB hard drive that you can even store off site for CYOA policies.

The reason I ask this question is because I'm not sure if you need to save money or are just buying the server because of the RAID and you always running out of disk space. If those are your only reasons then I wouldn't buy it. RAID isn't really for the "storage" of it all. It's mostly used for once again Covering Your Own Arse policies and backup purposes along with data integrity. I'm sure that since you already have a setup at the office then you're doing some type of backup so I wouldn't really invest in RAID if you just want more storage. Heck, you can buy an enclosure kit for $35 USD and Internet HDD for $80 (for a 120gb) USD and up of course. Also, if this happens to be SCSI RAID then you're talking about nearly double the price for the same amount of memory which more than likely you'll use in a heart beat. It would be my move to use the external enclosure kit to make my internal IDE drive an external USB drive and just buy the drives as I need them or maybe in bulk since a lot of wholesale stores give you discounts when buying bulk. Once again just my 2 cents and since you are working for/with lawyers I have a small feeling you're not worried about saving money... :lol: :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by PartieHonteuse
    I just have a few questions..

1.) Are you buying the server because of the RAID capabilities or are you buying it because your office needs more hdd space?

2.) If you are buying just to have HDD space then you're wasting your money. Why not just buy an externel enclosure kit and another IDE Drive and WHAM you have yourself a portable USB hard drive that you can even store off site for CYOA policies.

It would be my move to use the external enclosure kit to make my internal IDE drive an external USB drive and just buy the drives as I need them or maybe in bulk since a lot of wholesale stores give you discounts when buying bulk. Once again just my 2 cents and since you are working for/with lawyers I have a small feeling you're not worried about saving money... :lol: :wink:
    ok, Your first question:

We need more hard disk space, but also, we want it backed up. The lawyers could come back at any time and want documents printed out again. We don't wanna have to redo it all.

We already have 2 internal hdd, one for accounting and other stuff that employees can't get to and we have another one for customer files and then we have a usb for backup.My boss also backs up on his laptop almost every night and he has backed some stuff up on yet another usb drive.

What we're looking at is getting a refurbished Dell PowerVault 745N. But we just don't know which one would be best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast