Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default upgrading from ME to XP

I'm looking for advice on upgrading my PC from ME to XP or XPpro. I have a P4 with 256mb, so I should have enough hardware. I looked on the DEll site and It's much more expensive. Is that because of bundled software? Support? If I buy just XP from an online website, will it have outlook? Thankyou

Default Re: upgrading from ME to XP

Quote Originally Posted by mainetom
    I'm looking for advice on upgrading my PC from ME to XP or XPpro. I have a P4 with 256mb, so I should have enough hardware. I looked on the DEll site and It's much more expensive. Is that because of bundled software? Support? If I buy just XP from an online website, will it have outlook? Thankyou

The CPU should be fine but I recommend at least 512 MB for XP & no you won't have Outlook if you buy XP. Word is a part of MS office which is a seperate software suite. Outlook is part of Word. HTH
    Comptia A+ and Network + Certified. Microsoft MCP in Windows 2000 Pro. Server, Advanced Server and Data Center Sever.

You will have Outlook Express, if you want the full version of Outlook, you'll need to buy Microdoft Office. Since you already have ME, you could buy the upgrade version of XP that will save a few dollars. It is still recommended to do a clean install, but that can be done with an upgrade version as long as ME is still on the computer or you have the original ME installation disk. ME is basically 98 stretched to the breaking point, it pointed out the need for XP. Charlie

Default Re: upgrading from ME to XP

I'm also looking on Reformatting my computer cause i've done two windows repair's and i'm looking in buying Windows xp Home and i've always used Pro. but.. don't see a different in the two OS. Well it's 100$ at Wal-Mart for the OEM but... at BestBuy it's 200$! Why is that and what's the OEM ver.?

Member Help2Go Moderator

About OEM vs. Retail read this article from OSC --> http://www.help2go.com/article206.html

XP Home vs. XP Pro -->
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase...p_home_pro.asp

Altought I have found this...
    How to change XP Home to XP Pro -->
    http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/softw...pro-105486.php

Before finding this I was able to successfully install IIS on XP Home YAY!
    Have fun.

Partieā„¢

lol, I like the last link. Well thanx for the search but i'm waiting on a friend of mine to get me a copy of Home or Pro. as I am a expert on Computers and i can handle almost anything In the up coming windows.

The OEM is cheaper but I'm still kinda guessing will i still be able to get all the Updates and Service packs if i decide to buy the OEM ver. at wal-mart? I saw two ver.'s!

One was upgrade and the other just said nothin besides you need Windows 98SE , 2000. or ME. I'm guessing that was the Full ver. and not the upgrsde.

Well when i go back there i'll be sure to ask one of the people but i hate how the people at wal-mart don't know much about Windows or... computers them selfs. Well thanx and i'm sure to be in touch when testing out ( Microsoft Windows Vista but... till then and take care all)

Hello again just here on a follow up....

I was just searching around the net and found that some sites have low cost and high for Xp Home! The following sites i visited....

1. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=1957319

2. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16837102151

3. http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?...ows+Xp&An=text

and there we're others but i found newegg to be the cheapers but... I would rather buy the one at my local Wal-Mart! the Xp Home box did not say upgrade... it just said for use on a PC with 98 , 2000 and PC without a OS. but i will be mad if the Box is out of place on the price tag and it will be like 130 instead of 98.91$ Well i'm just in a hurry to getting a legal copy of Xp cause i'm tired of havin problems with my Illegal copy cause i can'tupdate MS Anti-Spyware no more and nor... can i get Sp2

One was upgrade and the other just said nothin besides you need Windows 98SE , 2000. or ME. I'm guessing that was the Full ver. and not the upgrsde.
    If the second was the full version you do not need to have a previous operating system installed, thats the whole point you're getting the whole package and your not required to have a previous version.

I looked on the wall-mart website, the version at $99 ish is an upgrade version, hence you need a 98, ME, or 2000 disc to prove you can upgrade. The dearer version is the full retail version that doesn't require a previous operating system disc.

I understand what your saying but i'm doin a reformat anyway so... i'm all good to go beside getting my hands on the product. I also understand that the full Ver. can be used for those who or under 98SE and 2000 and even Windows ME. The upgrade is for those who our also are under those ver.'s but the upgrade ver. you cannot reformat.

The reason i'm doin this is because i'm tired of using my friend's Illegal copy of Windows Xp Pro. cause now i can't get any updates nor... Service's pack's.

well.... i'm off and thx for the help even though this wasn not my post.

Note - For those who our under 98SE , 2000 and ME should buy the Upgrade ver. of Windows Xp Home or... Pro.

You can reformat with an upgrade version if you have the original installation disk from the original OS. Charlie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast