Default Is the advice on this website (link inside) good ?

Thanks
    Last edited by kd0906; 08-15-2016 at 10:36 AM.

While I feel that some of the advise is sound, their suggestion to turn off system restore sends up a "red flag".

The default system restore settings are a little to high, turning it off is not a good idea.

Cheers

I agree about turning off system restore. That is like an ocean liner leaving the life boats behind because they took up too much space (I think the Titanic tried that). Everything is fine as long as you don't have a problem, but problems can and do happen. When it happens, you're sunk with no place to bail out. Change space used from the default of 12% to 3 or 4%. That will use less space, but still give you a safety zone. I've never used a restore point older than 1 week. Charlie

The problem with that advice as I see it is that it is very subjective. It works well for the author of the artice and his/her software/hardware set up. It does not nessesaraly follow that the same advice will suit everyone.

Generally it is good advice, but not all of it is for everyone. System restore is one example and there a good few others in there too.

Well I got as far as page 5...
    For an anti-virus ... Kaspersky is the answer. Kaspersky has a higher detection rate, uses less system resources, and costs less than both Norton and McAfee
    I've nothing against Kaspersky, but it's no better or worse then a lot of others... and AVG for instance is free and quite sufficient for the average home user...
    Remove spyware/adware...... Spybot is the free solution.
    ... don't you wish...

Adaware & Microsoftantispyware both remove more than spybot ... but the safest option is to use all 3

be careful with jv16 PowerTools I've known it to remove required registry keys. (there are FREE alternatives)

I didn't go any further

steam
    Look here for Ways to keep your computer safe
    M'SOFT MVP -Windows Security 2004/8 .member ASAP -